Gone With the Wind...

I LOVE the book, LOVE the movie, the sequel "Scarlett" was great (I didn't care for the movie much) When I was younger I admired Scarlett O'Hara...I wanted to be that woman who would do whatever she needed to to survive, who didn't care what others thought of her....When I told my SO that I admired her, and he finally watched the movie with me, he says, "So, you've always wanted to be a slut?! I don't get it..."

*SIGH*

Am I the only one who loves Gone With the Wind?!?!

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 2:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Entertainment

• I don't think men understand it either. Every man I ever tried to share the movie with thought she was a selfish user, and a slut. They don't understand that the whole point is she went from a selfish immature girl to a strong woman who did what she had to just to survive!

It's always been my favorite movie, and book...my mom and I used to play a sort of "trivial pursuit" we made up based on the book.

"Not with Miss Ellen's P'oteers you ain't"
    "And you waitin' there for him..... jes' like a spider"
    "Oh, do buy a great big one Rhett!"

.......I won't go on...lol!

leeceeann

Answer by leeceeann at 10:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I LOVE Gone with the Wind, although I didn't much care for Scarlett the sequel. I think I have seen the movie at least 30 times and read the book countless times. It is in my top 10 list of favorite books. It amazes me how many people have never seen or read it. She was an amazing woman who made the best of the circumstances she was in--basically a survivor.
    Ha, so you're not alone, wanna start a Cafemom Gone With the Wind fan group? ;)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I love Gone With the Wind, too. It's one of my faves and the movie was a beautiful!! I love Rhett and Scarlett. My husband doesn't get it, either. When I pop the movie in, he just rolls his eyes.
    Have you guys read Rhett Butler's People? I like that one as well. Actually better than Scarlett.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 5:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's probably my all time fave...it's funny, though that as I grew up wanting to BE Scarlett (and sometimes my Mother even called me Scarlett! haha), I realized that shew as not only "strong"...but selfish at times. In the long run, I still want to be like her!!! She wasn't selfish when it came down to it and she didn't let anyone walk all over her or dictate what she wanted in life!!!
    Didn't like the movie Scarlett as much either...and I have Rhett Butler's People but haven't read it yet! Good to hear that y'all liked it!
    siobhan21

Answer by siobhan21 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Nope, I and my cousin have been obsessed with Gone With The Wind since we were kids!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• "Not with Miss Ellen's P'oteers you ain't" - Mammy. When Scarlett tells Mammy that she will be making a new dress to go to Atlanta in from her mothers curtains.

"And you waitin' there for him..... jes' like a spider" - Mammy. After Scarlett was widowed from Charles Hamilton, and Ellen suggested that she go to Atlanta to see Melanie and her Aunt Pitty Pat, commenting on Scarlett sitting there waiting for Ashley when he comes home on Christmas leave.

"Oh, do buy a great big one Rhett!" - Scarlett. Remarking on how big she wants her engagement ring after he FINALLY proposes to her.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I liked the sequel Scarlett, and I actually JUST read Rhett Butler's People a week ago. It seems to me that Rhett Butler's People contradicts Scarlett in some area's, such as having Rhett's mother so deep into religion that she was nearly batty, and then dying, but in Scarlett she is very much a social woman, and a Lady above all else, but Rhett Butler's people doesn't even mention Scarlett coming to Charleston at all...as a matter of fact, Rhett Butler's people has Scarlett at Tara the whole time after Melanie's death, and in Scarlett she had actually gone off to Ireland.

*shrug* They are both good books, I did enjoy them, but it seems that you can only follow the story line of one because they don't mesh.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• After I posted here this morning...

...I just had to watch it.....lol. It's on right now

Rhett just said, "You should be kissed, often...and by someone who knows how."...I don't care how corny it is.....sigh******
    leeceeann

Answer by leeceeann at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I read "Scarlett" and loved it....so-so on the movie. I've never even heard of "Rhett Butler's People"...but I'll be looking now, THAT's for sure!
    leeceeann

Answer by leeceeann at 3:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's great!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008