Why do people think only black parents dress their kids in name brand clothes?

I was at the park earlier and as a black mother I don't buy my child name brand clothes like Roca Wear, Coogi, and Jordan shoes because I have rent and bills to pay, but this woman (black woman) looked at my child and asked me why don't I put my child in name brand clothes? That's what black mothers supposed to do. I told her "are you gonna buy me name brand clothes for my child? If no, then STFU and mind your business!" My child is 2 and I'm pretty sure she doesn't care if her clothes are name brand as long as it fits. I buy her clothes from Target, Children's Place and this discount store called Just 4 Kids where they have cute 2 piece outfits from $6 and her shoes from Payless.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was unaware that was a 'rule'. Sounds like she was just stuck up more than anything else... I would have told her to shut up to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• trust me its not just "black" mothers its all uppity mothers......my dd 15 deals with it from her friends on a daily basis and we're white and live in a farming town......just be proud that your child has clean clothes , a house to live in , and food to eat......my thoughts are if your child is happy and well cared for those name brands arent going to matter to them......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Wow I really didn't know ANYONE was SUPPOSE to dress their kid in name brand clothes. It's a choice if you ask me and as long as the kid is in clean clothes then their fine to be out in public. I get ALOT on clearance racks and nobody knows that I didn't buy it when it was on full price. I would have told her the same thing basically. lol It's YOUR kid, do what YOU need to do!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• yeah there's snobs in every race. My daughter gets walmart tennis shoes. Other kids parents spend a fortune on name brand shoes. She gets heckled about it. She's a smart kid and tells them it's foolish to spend that kind of money on shoes and clothes when it can be spent on something else. Most of my kids clothes are expensive name brand clothes. But they came from thrift stores. I spent a whole lot less LMBO
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I agree, there are snobs everywhere. The only thing that I spend more money on is shoes, and that's because they really do last longer. And spending $10 to $15 at walmart vs $20 to $30 elsewhere (on kids shoes) isn't a big deal.

Very expensive clothes are a lifestyle choice. Some people make it, some people don't. I enjoy the quality of good clothes, but I don't have to buy designer clothes to do that. Children's Place, Carters, Gap, Old Navy, etc. will do it for me. :)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I dont see the sense in name brand clothes anyways for children or grown ups. I work basically all day long and earn a little over minimum wage and CAN NOT afford to even go shopping at the mall. I get our clothes at thrift stores, where I can buy pants/skirts/shirts/sweatshirts starting at 99 cents! Last time I went shopping at the mall was more that 5 years ago. There are more important things that making the rich get richer only because it says some stupid name across my shirt! And where do most espesive clothing lines get there fabric? And where do they get it made? Most of them same as all the cheap labels,
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of such a thing!
    Anonymous

• None of that is true. It doesn't matter what 'color' you are,Moms buy what they can afford to buy. I wish people would stop being silly and stop stereotyping and generalizing. Just because I graduated from a high school with mostly "rich kids" it didn't mean that I wore designer clothing. LOL. I wore JC Penney and Sears clothing!
    Lets be real.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Ughh I would have just told her to mind her business. I am black and my kids do not wear name brand clothing, unless I find it at thrift stores or garage sales. I have food to buy, mortgage to pay and am barely making it as it is, I wouldn't want to waste money on name brand clothing, when all it matters is that they are clean and neat.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2011