How do I get it through my 6 year olds head that he is NOT his sisters diciplinrian!

I can not get it thorough his head to just ask for help! He bites her and YELLS constantly at her for NO reason! I am always having to jump ans and say ' DO you need help?' I know part of it is the Asperger's but he not incapable of learning! How do I teach him this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is so bad that she has to put up with this. It too depends on how severe his asperger's is.
    I would say that you need to remove him immediately and quietly explain to him why.
    Persistence.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Tell him HE'S the brother, not the parent, only mommy and daddy can discipline your sister.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I know I worry she is going to end up hating him! I can't leave them alone together for 3 min and NONE of my family is willing to watch them at the same time for more than one night.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• His Aspergers is considered mild-moderate. Some times you can't tell at all then others he is acting like he is 3 the way her acts. It is just this year gotten to where people on the playground watch him play-ask how old he is-then are shocked he is almost 7. He plays alone or with the toddlers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I went thru that with my DD (although she doesn't have Aspergers)... I was always telling her "I am the Mother, not you! Come got me if there is a problem". So then we went thru a little bit of a TattleTale phase... but it's getting better. My DD is 7 & DS is just about 5.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I am still trying to explain to my 10 year old (he is diagnosed with autism) that he is NOT the parent, his father and I am. He thinks he is helping and being such a big boy.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Have you tried telling him he's not helping that he is making the problem worse?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Have you spoken with the doctor that is treating the asburgers? This could be his "tick" and your doctor, who knows the child, may be better in giving you ways of dealing with the problem without causing hard feeling between your daughter and your son. He may need to learn corrective steps to take when he feels the urge come on. perhaps that is a code word you can say when you see him beginning to act like that that only he and you know that will jog his memory and help him know to stop that behavior. Until you get it under control. I would suggest calmly taking him into another room and ask him to sit quietly and explain that he is the brother and its your job to correct your daughter when she is wrong. You appreciate his help, but its not his job. You want there to be a real connection between the siblings. Ask the profressionals.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 1:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2011