This woman just left her child for other people to watch

So I was at the mall yesterday and I took my DD to the indoor play area they have in there. It's really not meant for any one over the age of about 5 or 6 but 10 year olds and older play in there running around, trampling the little children who the play are was made for so you really have to pay attention. Anyway, the rules are clearly marked, one of which is that all children must be supervised at all times. So I noticed a little girl who didn't seem to belong to anyone ( she was white and I was the only white parent in the play area, most everyone else was Asian or Hispanic) but I just kept an eye out thinking she might be there with a friend or something. However after about half an hour, everyone who was in the play area when I got there had gone and more people had come, with the exception of myself and one other mother and one dad. The dad so sitting next to me so I leaned over asked if that child was with him, he said, no, he was thought she was with me and I said, well that woman over there has been here so maybe she is with her. Well the child who BTW was probably about 3 and very cute but she wasn't very well kept and kept saying she was hungry was trampled by one of the older kids. She started crying and no one came for her so I walked over to her to check her out, she ended up being fine but I asked who brought her to the mall, she said her SM did but she went shopping. The other woman who I thought might be with her came over and asked where her mom was I told her and she said she thought the man who I talked to was with her. I asked her how long she had been there, she said probably an hour and a half and the child was there when she got there. Meanwhile the child was staring at anyone who had food I asked her if she had had lunch she said she hadn't even had breakfast. So I went and got security just because who know how long she was going to be there or even if maybe she was left there (which happened at this play are last year, dad dropped his two kids off there and never came back) I also bought the child a pretzel. The security officer stayed there and when the SM came back about 20 min later, meaning she was gone for at least 2 hours, the security guard refused to release the child to her and CPS arrived a minute later. The mother was called and was clearly upset. Now the SM is potentially going to face charges and the dad, who was no where to be found in all of this, will probably have to have supervised visits from now on ( I know this because they did all of this right outside the play area, right behind where I was sitting so I heard everything). Is this a fair outcome? I am happy for the child because the mother seemed like a good mother and told the case worker she had full custody, dad just got every other weekend..

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I believe so. I couldn't imagine dropping my son off who is 3 and expecting him to be there without eating for 2 hrs by himself. That is beyond stupid. What if someone had snatched her, the sm wouldn't have known until she came back.... Poor baby....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It is a fair outcome. And Bravo to you for taking action! So few people do these days because they don't want to offend someone. That little girl is lucky you were looking out for her.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Beyond fair. The father would need to LEAVE the SM and PROVE he is responsible enough not to leave the child with someone so incredible irresponsible before he should be trusted alone with the child again. The SM should be locked up for child neglect, endangerment, and...quite frankly...should not be allowed to supervise ANYONES children again.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 12:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• bow downI think this child was very lucky to have someone like you and the other parents around to look out for her. Though she wasn't in any potential danger, she could have been. It seems like a situation where the SM was trusted and broke her promise to protect the little girl. I'm a little sad for the dad because he might have had no knowledge that this could have happened and it will now affect his visitation with his little girl, but all that matters is she is safe. You showed an awesome display of civic duty!! Hats off to you!

DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• The mother thanked me (tried to pay me for the $3 pretzel) and said she was so glad there were people there looking out for her DD.She said that felt so blessed no one had snatched her child (I didn't say this to her but for someone looking for a child to snatch, it would have been painfully obvious that child was alone). She said she was so embarrassed by the actions of the SM and how the SM had put her in a dress that was stained and at least 4 sized too big to where in drug on the floor and had to be pinned in the back with safety pins and let her come dirty.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Wow. I'm a FT SM and that's so ridiculous to me. If she didn't want to watch her she should have just told her DH so. Maybe she was HOPING something would happen. Dumb b........
    Anonymous

• I would have done the same thing and yes it's fair. People in charge of children have to understand how valuable they are. Even dogs dropped off at a kennel have supervision and are fed.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• The CPS worker stopped by my house this morning, she had gotten my info but not an actual statement. I asked her something that had been troubling me: that woman had been at the mall for at least 2 hours yet she came to the play area without a single shopping bag. The CPS worker said, yes I noticed that too so I checked the security video and that child was dropped off 3 hours before SM came back and SM left the mall 5 minutes after she dropped her off.
    DJsmommy, I had thought about that but on the other hand, the dad new the child left the home without breakfast, looking like a hobo who probably hadn't bathed the entire time she was with them so you can't say dad is totally faultless
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I can't even imagine what type of person would do that! If I was the mom I would want to beat the crap out of her for treating my child like that. They should lock her up.

I really hope her father rethinks his relationship with that monster and gets his priorities in order.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I think you did the right thing.
    One thing though don't assume about a child's color of they're skin being the same as they're parents. People assume that with my boys and think no one is watching my 3 year old sometimes when I am standing right there. My boys may look just white but they are mixed.
    The SM deserves what she gets!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011