Ever been called for jury duty?

I was called for jury duty once, but it so happens that the first date of my duty was also my due date with my first child. lol. So, I sent them my papers and was excused. I've never been summoned after that.

Anyone else ever been summoned for jury duty and not able to make it? If you were able to make it, how long did you have to serve?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 12:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes lots of times. Most of the time it was only a couple of days and was able to leave. The last time was in Federal court, it lasted just over two weeks...phew. After that I requested a break, lol. You can do that if you are called upon so many times within a certain length of time. and that has bee about 5 yrs ago

shefree

Answer by shefree at 1:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I got a letter from the County to serve IF they needed me.I was on a list and had to call a recorded message every morning to see if they needed me. After 5 days, the message told a group of us that we were not needed.
    It would have been so interesting...I would have gone if they needed me,
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I got out of it the first time because I had 3 small children at home and NO one to watch them for me. The second time they did not accept that and still required me to be there. My husband had to take off work so I could go. That's my only complaint about it. The time I was there was not horrible. I actually enjoyed myself and had nice conversation with other women there.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes, and it was a stupid dog bite case which IMO should have never gone to court. The trial took about a half day. The judge said it was the fastest trial he had ever had. The woman was claiming she was emotionally scarred for life, even though she had a dog of her own!!?? The bite was very minimal so we found for her side but only gave her compensation for her medical and mental health bills. Her lawyer was mad as hell. I guess he thought he was going to have a big payday. NOT! Now, I just got another summons for jury duty in August. UGH, but it is my duty as a citizen so I will do it.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 12:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Only once. It was right after my daughter was born,and since she was a preemie,and I was nursing her every 3 hours, around the clock,both my doctor and her's wrote us notes saying that, and I was excused,and never called again. Funnily enough, my daughter,who is now 24 has been called twice. LOL.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes. 3 times. Once I was selected to be on the jury and the other 2 times I was excused because of having young children to take care of .
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Just once and I never had to go in. I gave a call the day before like the letter requested and an automated message said I was no longer needed lol.
    I haven't been called since and that was thee almost four years ago.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• never been called, which is sad b/c id LOVE to do it!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Last year I got one sent to my mom's house in Napa County. I inform them I no longer live in that county.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Nope, ever been called. I have friends though who've been called a number of times. I've just been luck I guess.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011