Is this my fault? How do you handle it?

As a sahm is it my responsibility to keep track of everything? Dh misplaced something he needs for work and we believe that our youngest, age 3 may have gotten a hold of it. She's really good at getting into things she shouldn't and loosing them.

He keeps putting his stuff on the kitchen counter, which he believes is a good place to put it. It is then my job to make sure nothing happens too it. Have you ever tried this with 5 kids plus one 3 yr old kleptomaniac?

I am wondering though. Is this really my fault? I've tried my best, but everyone keeps leaving stuff around and doesn't say anything to me than I'm to blame when something happens to it. I can't be everyplace at once. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• It is HIS fault. He is an adult and should keep his things in a place where kids are not going to get curious and walk away with his things. You tell him to be an adult and keep his things where the kids can't get them, your bedroom perhaps?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Tell him if he has something he doesn't want the kids to get ahold of, then he should put it somewhere they can't get to it! I have the same problem here. I've gotten so sick of him leaving things lying around for the kids to get ahold of then getting mad at me when they do, so I told him that if he doesn't want them to get ahold of it, then he should put it away. lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Men. Huh.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Not your fault at all!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 12:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• LOL, I always tell my hubby that it wasn't my turn to Babysit whatever it was he was looking for
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It is HIS stuff, HE needs to be responsible for it or put it in a secure spot. He should NOT make it 'your responsibility' and blame you if it goes missing. I would suggest he start putting his things in a dresser drawer, or in a bin/container and put it up high in a cabinet, closet or shelf-- where the little one can't find it and can't reach.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My DH knows better than this. Our daughter is only 9 months, but she is fast. The rule is if you have something that you don't want to get chewed on, lost, what have you, you had better keep it out of the dining/kitchen/living area, because she has free access to those.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I also have five kids (aged 7, 5, 3, 3, and 1 month) that I home-school. And like your daughter, my twin boys LOVE getting into things that do not belong to them and then loosing it. You and your husband need to sit down and talk about this. Explain to him that he cannot put his important stuff where a 3 year old can get it, and expect it to be fine. Tell him to find a place in your guy's bedroom where he can put all his stuff and not have to worry about it. For example, in our bedroom, my husband has a lock-box that he can put extremely important stuff in, like his birth certificate, or files, and he puts the other stuff in his night stand drawer. And our kids know that they are not allowed to be in our bedroom unsupervised. Don't let this small thing cause a big argument for you guys. Just talk about it!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• We have had this problem with my 4 year old. She will take my DH's badge for work and hide it so he won't go (though of course he goes anyway, it's just extra paper work). At first he got annoyed with me because at some point during the day (maybe when I was cooking, or cleaning or doing laundry) I took my eyes off of her for a few seconds and she got it. Then it happened on his watch and now he puts that stuff where she can't reach it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i like when they ask where their ALLAN WRENCH is
    like i even know what that is

usually i would give answer like
    " oh yes, I just used that the other day - now where did i put that tool...it is a tool right?"
    LMAO
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2011