Buying food stamps while driving a BMW

So I am on food stamps, me and my DH only have one car and he works 5 days a week, 12 hour days and since he would have to walk 5 miles to get to a bus stop, he HAS to take the car to work. Well he was supposed to have today off work so we were going to go grocery shopping today but his work called and asked him if he could pick up the extra shift, of course he took it for the extra money. So I called my aunt to see if she could take me (she lives about a mile away). She said she would let me use the car if she could pick me up then have me drop her off at her eye appt and then go grocery shopping and then pick her back up. So that's what we did. Well I bought my groceries using food stamps AND coupons (which for some reason people hate). When I went to my car with my 2 small children in toe, this woman comes stomping up to us and shouts "so you can't afford your groceries but you can afford a new BMW"? I calmly as I could answered her that it's not her business but since she seems to want so badly to know, this is not my car, and the reason I couldn't use the car me and my DH share is because he is working extra so that we can afford to get off of the food stamps. She also didn't like that I bought a $14 roast, which will make about 6 meals for my family, I guess she is one of those who think that people who are on food stamps should eat rice and canned meat. I am not saying that no one abuses the system, I see people on here talking about people they KNOW who do that, but if you don't know the person, don't judge. If you see someone getting into a nice car, understand that if that was their car, they probably would be able to get food stamps, if they have a nice purse, maybe it was a gift from someone, or if they have 5 kids with them, maybe they aren't all theirs, maybe they are babysitting to help support their family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Ugh!!! People really need to mind their own business or get ALL the facts before they have something to say!!
    Don't judge until you've walked a mile it someone else's shoes - great words to live by!!! UGH!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• – collapse
    I find it hard to believe someone actually did that. I think many on here tell tall tales.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Wow! I'm am amazed she followed you ~ some people have no life...
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 1:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Even if it was your car, who says you bought it new? It could have been used, or maybe you didn't even own it, it could have been leased!!! People need to butt out!!!
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• "I find it hard to believe someone actually did that. I think many on here tell tall tales."

I don't... have you read some of the stories on here. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are too many judgmental an rude people in this country to doubt it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I totally see what you mean. It could also mean that the family at one time or another had the money to buy more expensive things and now had a drastic reduction of income and are just trying to get by.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 1:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• anon, she did and why you would say that with no reason is beyond me. All I can say is I feel that some people feel that people who use PA are taking money directly from their pockets
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• just let it brush off you shoulder, you know you didnt do wrong. It was wrong of thet lady to attack you the way she did. But I know there a lots of people who abuse the system extremely and they offices dont even care. They dont wanna do any extra work so they let them get away with it. I know of people selling there food stamps, like they buy you 100 dollars worth of groceries and you give them maybe 60 dollars cash. You dont get a lot in food stamps so you have to make it work during the whole month, so if I see them in front of me and buy a expensive fruit arrangement it makes me think too. But I never say anything.
    Anonymous

• – collapse
    Most people who are on food stamps, and have been on them a while, they don't have anything nice, nor knows anyone who can afford anything nice.

I always make the assumption that if someone owns a coach, DB purse and they're on FS, they're a POS.

And, honesty, if I were on fs and my aunt had a BMW, I almost guarantee that she would help me so I wouldn't have to be. So, if she can afford a 500-600 car payment, why doesn't she downgrade and give you a lil extra money a month. Obviously, you need the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• i would've ignored her, maybe swayed my hips a little more and smiled at her!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011