What do you do when you feel like you've tried everything and your seven year old is still pooping his pants?

I have a seven year old boy who was diagnosed at birth with hirschsprungs disease. At three months old he had surgery to remove a foot of his colon. We have had a battle since the age of three trying to get him to poop in the toilet. Doctors have told me he will get it, it just takes longer with his condition. Sometimes he makes it to the toilet and other times he soils his pants. We still have to tell him to go to the bathroom. I think he is able to go if he really tries. I have tried everything from rewards to sit down conversations and even taking things away from him. I am stumped and have no clue what to do next. He will be starting the first grade in the fall and don't want to see him made fun of. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

3kidsmom876

Asked by 3kidsmom876 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just keep buying pull-ups and help your son have good self-esteem. He isn't responsible for his illness and when his control is there he will be trained. Just don't blame him or make him feel second best. My husband had ischemic colotis and went back to being in Depends with no bowel control for over a year. He is thankfully back to having control. Your son will get there too. Just love him.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 2:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• If he didn't have problems, I would tell you to make him clean up his messes and ignore it for a while.

But since he has medical problems, I would take the first poster's advice.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• do not make a big deal of it when he does have an accident.

Make sure he isn't having pain that makes him hold it in. Alot of children do that. If it is a matter of not making it in time, then buy a timer and set it to remind him to go. That way you do not have to keep reminding him to go and then it becomes a power struggle between the two of you.
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 12:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011