Why does everyone think their child is brilliant?

Honestly.

Average is average for a reason.

Not every child is gifted. Not every child is a genius.

And those that have gifts? They probably also have an area that they are average in.

Embrace your average-ness! :)

Mom2theboy1994

Asked by Mom2theboy1994 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Because they are!!! :) they are the smartest kids I have had the pleasure of being mommy to. :)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My son is a genius! I'm his mom, I'm supposed to think that!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• very mum thinks tehre kids beautiful and smart its the way wear wired as mum's . when you love someone taht much you cant help it and you cant help but think everyone should see it to :)
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 2:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• If you always tell your child "you are brilliant" "your are a genius" etc, the child will begin to think that. And unless they actually are, life will be really rough for them. Tell them things like "Wow, you did such a great job on that drawing!" "I am so proud of you for figuring out that math problem!" ...tell them what they did/how they did it when they do something great :) Society puts to much pressure on kids to be "smarter". With the gifted programs and such. Eh.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• All children are brilliant in something...why focus on their average-ness when you can focus on their brilliance!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• my child has delays

average would be great!
    would love to think of my child as average

just got back from parade
    sick to death to see how other parents look at me, when my child is around their child

newsflash***** brain delays are not catching
    my childs delays will not rub off on your child if my child is close to yours or heaven forbid touches your child

would LOVE to see my child as average
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• @ Tarrar...I disagree about the gifted programs being too much pressure. Maybe for some, but in my case, my son is gifted and he was absolutely bored in regular classes. He prefers to be challenged in the gifted program.

I'm not sure why people look down on gifted programs if it is something the child qualifies for. Would you say the same about someone who needs to be in a special ed class because they can't keep up with regular classes?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Why shoot for average? Of course no one is brilliant in every way (heck, everyone is below average in some way too), but isn't it good to encourage kids to be proud of what they are good at? And isn't it okay for a mom to be openly proud of their kids?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• just got back from parade

I feel the same way momma. When my son has a meltdown in public and people stare, I think, "are you even wondering WHY this is happening? Do you think that maybe there's a problem? Or are you thinking that I'm a bad mom and he's a spoiled kid". They just stare and, like you said, worry that our children are contagious.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I dont look down on the gifted classes, I understand why we have them. I think we need to change our schools and classrooms so that we can provide children of ALL levels the same experience. I think it makes the children who are not in the gifted classes feel inadequate. And same with special ed classes. Children of higher levels treat children who are in special ed differently. Why? Because we have told them, that they are better. But, I am not trying to look down on it in any way. I am a teacher. In my classrooms we teach one class, ALL levels! And it works really well :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2011