I was just wondering, does anyone here have any trouble with their MIL? Do you like or dislike her?

Well mine is soon-to-be mother-in-law. When she found out that I am pregnant, she started mentioning that she wants to adopt our baby. When we told her that we are going to raise our child, she started talking about her last name being on the birth certificate in case something "Happens to us". She is not my boyfriend's real Mom, but his Adoptive Mom. We've said quite a few times that we would like the baby to go to my boyfriend's real Mom if something happens to us.

My boyfriend's adopted sister has had trouble with their Mom before. She tried to say that his sister is abusive towards her 7 mnth old son to gain custody. We're afraid she is going to start something like this with us to try and gain custody or have the child taken away all together.

I was just wondering, does anyone here have any trouble with their MIL? Do you like or dislike your MIL?

kellyalice

Asked by kellyalice at 2:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love my MIL she is the sweetest woman on earth.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 2:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Ooh! Sounds like ur MIL is a bit strange. My MIL, if u let her, will go above n beyond to do things for us. I set limits or else she'll go crazy. I like her but ppl (my family) think I'm a bitch n that I don't appreciate what she does. Hello! If I don't want my mom as my slave y would I want SO's. Plus she was diagnosed w lupus so she gets tired faster. If I don't look out for her well being SO will have her cooking, cleaning n washing for us! Seriously!!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Nah...I divorced her right along with the EX
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Whoa, your MIL seems a little cuckoo...her last name on the birth certificate?

Anyway, my MIL and I get along and we are cordial to one another. We know each other well enough to know which topics we should steer clear of and which boundaries not to cross, she learned her lesson in that one ;-)
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My ex-husbands mother was the very best MIL that anybody could have asked for. We have 3 children together and she is still an amazing woman. I don't get to see her or talk to her much .... even though they know their son as 'issues' (to put it mildly) they still try to respect him by not having much to do with me. I am so thankful they are still in their grandchildrens lives though. :)
    AudraMorgan

Answer by AudraMorgan at 2:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Wow, your soon-to-be MIL sounds like she has some "issues" that she needs professional help with. You may want to take some pro-active steps to protect your baby-to-be (congrats, btw!) from her.

Although my MIL was a handful (think controlling b**** w/a chip on her shoulder), she at least didn't try to get our child as her own. However, when she was alive, we didn't see her much because her behaviors were not in the best interest of our child and could, in fact, be very harmful, which is why we stayed away. It sounds like you may need to do the same with your DF's adoptive mother.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My MIL (well my dh's mom is dead, its his step mom) is AMAZING! I love her to death, though she is sometimes a little stuck in her ways, but she is one of the most amazing women I've ever met!
    sissy4444

Answer by sissy4444 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Hmmm....I can say that I have never had the kind of trouble with my MIL that you are describing!
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• wow i think we have the same MIL mine told me she is taking me to court to get custody of my DD's (one is nine months one will be born in november) all because i won't let her have the visitation she wants (her idea of visiting is her showing up and showing me the door taking my car keys and i either sit on the curb or walk around in 98 degree weather at borderline high risk pregnancy) needless to say i said sure go ahead take me to court but when they laugh you out of the court room you'll never see me or my daughters again be careful with someone like your MIL they would think nothing of leaving bruises on your child and blame it on you or just take off with them
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 2:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I love my MIL, she's awesome and very sweet. I love that they took me into the family when DH and I got married, even though she didn't know me at all.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011