How to keep a toddler from taking out her hair clips and hair bands!!

My dd who is 22 months never lets me put her hair up and when I do actually get to she will take the hair clip or bands out. I hate this because she will be all dressed up so cute and her hair will be a hot mess because she wont let me do anything with it! Any suggestions of how to get them in and stay in?????

LT70

Asked by LT70 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I will get voted down for this but I would very very lightly flick her little fingers(not even hard enough to make her flinch-just to get her attention to stop) and tell her not to touch then redirect her with a toy. It took a few times but now she is 3 and I can do anything to her hair. She even likes it and ask for it now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Mine has just started doing this. It is very frustrating I am trying the redirection thing but it does not always work.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Super Glue? Nah not really. This is the age they start pulling it out. You can't always redirect (like when you are driving ). For now I would fix it down the best you can and not buy any bows you care too much about. I have 5 sisters and 2 little girls most just need to grow up a little before they will leave their hair alone.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 3:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• If you find the answer let me know my 1year old is always pulling her hair clips out.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have noticed (mine is 17 months) if I don't make a big deal about it. Like by telling her how cute she looks she leaves her hair alone. Also she hates head bands! wont wear them at all. Maybe yours is the same way, idk. Now, if any one tells her she looks cute the first thing she does is take the clip out of her hair to look at it, lol. So I have to tell ppl not to say anything.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• If you consistently tell no do take out she will eventually get it that is how my dd understood it now she's 8 and now it's the (mommy your brushing my hair too hard stage) so now I tell her brush her own hair even though I have to go back and make sure it's brushed bc sometimes the back of the head gets missed and there is where you find all the tangles if left for her to do it :/
    Yeah just keep reminding her and she will get it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Lol duct tape. I like that idea. It's settled then!
    LT70

Comment by LT70 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• im gonna sound like a horrible mom, but i use those tiny bands to pull up my dds hair. i keep them very tight an normally she leaves it alone. but if there is a bow or anything frilly in it she will immeditely take it out. she hates being a frilly girl, but doesnt mind the hair up thing. but what i do is for a few hrs keep her hair the way i want, then ill pull it out an shes ok. so we go back an forth. but now thats she 2 she loves brushing her hair. so we have this deal. she brushes it an i pull it up.
    kdbrantley82

Answer by kdbrantley82 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2011