When out in public (park, library, parade etc) and there is a child who is delayed, do you look differently on th parent or child, do you feel uncomfortable when the "different" child is trying to play with your child, do you have the look in your eyes to the mom of the delayed child -the look of "get your child away from my perfectly healthy child"?

ok, now that everyone said
of course not, I would never do that

then where are these other moms from that give me the "look"
of
I do not like your delayed child near my perfect child

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I have a sneaking suspicion that the people who are giving looks, are choosing not to answer your question. And only the ones that are genuinely nice and understanding are answering. Who is going to answer... "Ugh...keep your kid away from me"?

Big hugs Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would like to know that as well...and the ones that ask me 'How old is he?' Then I tell them and they give me this shocked look and say 'Ooohhh' Like they can't even believe a child could ever act younger than he is and then don't speak to me again.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Bumped. I agree 100%. Where ARE all those Moms? I get them every time I'm out with my grandson.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have the "I want to know mr about ur child" look. And I also have the, "god, I hope my kid doesn't pinch, bite or hit him" look. Followed by the "my son needs friends who are different like him" look.

When my son was born, he was put on ECMO. Drs said he may suffer a brain hemorrhage n b affected by it for the rest of his life. He developed other physical malformalities but cognitively he's fine. I always think about "what if" when I c a child who's "different".
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• not at all. my child is fine, but i used to take care of individuals who were "delayed, special, whatever, but they had a combo of mental disabilities. i took my little girl to work with me all the time so she could be around them and see that they were people just like her and just because they may have been born different, their really not at all. she's only 5 and she doesn't even pay attention if someone is different or not, which i absolutely love
    annieidk

Answer by annieidk at 2:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• No, I wouldn't dream of it. My little brother has special needs and I understand. If anything my children have been taught to be the ones to include the kids that others try to exclude. We teach that every deserves to feel included and to be part of the fun.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It's hard to read to much into a parent having a great conversation with you and then dropping it the second they realize your child is not 'like theirs' Since my son doesn't know how to play with others well I don't get much of the looks for him trying to play with other kids but I certainly get the cold shoulder sometimes not every time-but often enough to notice when it is happening.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Well, to be quite honest I have never had to deal with that situation because my son is autistic and doesn't play with other kids so he has no interest in them anyway. It's usually the "regular" kids I have to keep away from my son '-)
    wwinnie200

Answer by wwinnie200 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I wont lie and say that i wont think something i shouldnt but, no i'd never once say it to the mother or child. Its hard not to though because of the kids. Kids dont understand when there's a child that is different and thats why id think something, more along the lines of I dont want to have to explain it in front of the mother or child, but i have friends who have children who are "different" and my kids now understand it and they still are friends with them. it teaches them to be more compassionate about those kids and to be more caring, instead of making fun of them.
    sissy4444

Answer by sissy4444 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have a brother who has aphasia, and we had to constantly tell my daughter about his behavior not always being what's right. But then again it did some good because she is very understanding of people with disabilities and very patient also.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 2:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2011