How can I get my daughter to sleep more at night then during the day. she is 6 weeks old.

She sleeps well during the day but at night she fusses and is up for a couple of hours.

madreat20

Asked by madreat20 at 3:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are breastfeeding this will work itself out shortly because breast milk has special ingredients that regulate your baby's body clock to a normal cycle. If you're not, I don't know. Maybe try keeping her awake more in the early evening? I know you shouldn't add anything like cereal to her diet at this point. That can be dangerous in a baby so young. Of course, sitting up with a newbie is a great time to just enjoy the quiet! Put on some relaxing music and let her be up with you. Read the Bible or spend some time praying. Work on a hobby and nap during the day when she does. It won't last forever and it'll be over too soon. You'll miss this time when it's gone.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Try and keep her up as much as possible during the day so she will sleep better at night, right now she has her days and nights mixed up but it will straighten itself out.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Keeping your child up more during the day is likely to make her overtired and even more cranky. You can try using a tight (not crushingly tight) swaddle. I also would say that reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block," by Dr. Harvey Karp is worth a read. If she gets enough rest during the day, she will get enough rest during the night and vise versa. She might still be waking at night because she is hungry. Does she usually eat when she wakes?
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 7:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• She's six weeks old; she needs to sleep when she's tired and eat when she's hungry. Don't force her into anything. What you can do to help her learn. The first thing is to keep the lighting adjusted properly -- during the day, open all the curtains and fill the house with light; at night, keep the house dark. The second is to modify your reactions to her -- during the day, coo and cuddle and fuss over her, talk to her, keep her engaged and stimulated; at night, lovingly keep it all business.

And I second reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block". It's a good book.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I read this excellent book called "baby wise" I got it on amazon for only $4. I used it's instructions as guidelines for my baby and she started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks. It teaches a eat/wake/sleep cycle that helps your baby achieve better night time sleep. Good luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'm with May 20 on this one. I also wouldn't avoid regular day time noises either, if you have to vacuum then do it. Mine slept right through it, but it helps them to realize day and night.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2008