Are there stats on communities of numbers of children with special needs?

i will be moving some time after court
and would like to find a community that has more understanding when it comes to children with special needs and their familes

maybe some stats that can help me find a place m0re tolerate and knowledgeable about special needs
or
maybe just people are crappy everywhere

a cave maybe might be nice

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 2:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Doubt it,sorry
    this is one of those things where you might have to wing it.
    i truly feel your frustration. been there

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I don't know if there are stats for communities but have you looked into support groups. That would probably be your best place to start. People in the same position as you could tell you were the best schools, dr.'s, etc are for your child's needs..
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have seen stats for all kinds of things, but never this. I think it's a wonderful idea. Is there a national parenting group (sort of like MOPS but for families with special needs children) that you might be able to contact? I wish I could be more helpful, but I don't know of any way to find out off hand.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Is it ok if i ask what the disability is?
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• There are population stats for specific disabilities that are of interest to research, but they in no way indicate the liveability of a community. For example, in my county there is a very high population of individuals with disabilities of all sorts because the services (medical, therapeutic, behavioral, etc.) available to such individuals are more readily available here than in the surrounding counties. There are still problems with the school districts and there are still problems with individual people in the general population, but we are able to deal with it all because we have a strong & supportive network of families & adults living with special needs. This doesn't mean that we don't have moments of wanting to strangle some idiot, but b/c we band together, we do have ways to address the issues on a large scale to create change.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• lol
    all i know is places where there are factories that emit toxins are very bad places to live and they cause defects to people of any age
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• What are you looking for? If its support groups in the area where you are moving, google it. Computer has a wealth of information.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I think it's like breastfeeding. Everyone says they support it but when the going gets rough, they tend to bail. My suggestion is to find a support group in the area that you are looking to move into and then poll the group for suggestions. My school district s**ks when it comes to helping kids with special needs. (I know because I have one with Aspergers.) There is one school district in the next county over that I've heard is just the opposite. The area charter schools are also doing a decent job.  I wouldn't ask the schools as they are going to say that they are doing a great job. I'd ask the parents what kind of job the area schools are doing.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2011