My daughter is 5 and is still peeing the bed at night.

I put a pull up on her and wake for up about 1-2 am to go to the bathroom. She usually goes, but still in the morning sometimes has a wet pull up. I don't know what else to do. She is going to be in Kindergarden this year and I fear she is going to get asked to a sleepover then get made fun of for still having to wear pull ups.

claverty

Asked by claverty at 2:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 7 year old son still wets the bed. I dont put him in pull ups at home but when hes at my moms he wears them. My dr told me that once he is 7 he can be prescribed sum nasal stuff (or a pill) at bedtime and its supposed 2 help. I havent got it yet but maybe u can talk 2 ur dr about it.
    country_mom_07

Answer by country_mom_07 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Bed wetting can be tricky. I have three children, all very different in personalities. I had to try several different ways to stop it. Although my youngest still has an occasional accident, I think the best thing I could have done was to take away the pull-ups. The security of a pull-up might actually be enabling her. Just a suggestion, but I would put her in underwear and buy a mattress cover. This is what I did and it seemed to work well with my children. Good luck!
    3kidsmom876

Answer by 3kidsmom876 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My five year old was wetting. I was waking him up between midnight-2, but twice a week he was going. I started waking him up later in the morning, thinking that we could re-train his little bladder to hold longer. It worked for us. All though your situation is more extreme, this might help down the road. I also agree with the other poster that the pull ups might be adding to the problem.
    Good Luck
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 4:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My six year old stills wears pull ups and wets the bed from time to time but she has bladder problems. I make sure she has some big towels under her, limit what she drinks before bed, pottys before bed. Doctor says some kids will wet the bed for awhile.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• my 11 y/o still wets even after seeing 3 docs, having and ultrasound, and trying medication. I just keep hearing.... "she will grow out of it". Ugh!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 7:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• TAke your little one to the doctor and make sure there isnt a physical problem. If no physical problems then Many things can be a factor. Her bladder is small, she sleeps very soundly, she isnt emptying her bladder when she goes during the day. I have an 8 year old who wet at night till she was 6. Her problem was more then likely due to her not empyting her bladder all the way during the day and then her being a sound sleeper. She eventually grew out of it.

Honestly Ive never came acrossed a child who just wets at night because they are lazy unless there is other issues mentally. Most children who wet just cant help it.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Mine still does as well. I wouldn't worry so much.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't think you need to worry about anything so soon, cross the bridge IF you come to it.
    ;-)

This still happens for many well past that age; normal.
    There are some ways to deal with this, like:
    *IF* there is a sleep-over proposed then you & the other mom will arrange a playdate here & there and then eventually the friend can bring a sleeping bag, sleep on the floor, your DD can sleep in her normal bed with your normal bedtime cleanup routine (in secret).

My daughters have been through Kindergarten and I have seen VERY few sleepovers.
    I see that even through the fourth grade it hasn't been too common for most.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thank you all:) I did take the pull ups away for a long time and just started them again, because I was tired of her bedding smells of pee even though I washed everything. She has to sleep with fleece soft blankets and the smell doesn't come out of those as easy! From the sounds of it, this is more common then i thought and that makes it a little easier to handle knowing I'm not the only parent dealing with it.

Doulala, the reason I worry about the sleepover thing is because we are very involved with our children, sports and other families. I not worried about sleeepovers at my house but ones when she leaves. She has already had several sleepovers at home. We live in a very small town, so friends are more like family:)

Again thank you all for taking time to read and respond!
    claverty

Comment by claverty (original poster) at 3:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would do what other have suggested take her to the doctor and just make sure everything is ok there. I had an issue with mine for a while where she would pee in the bed while she was awake or she would wake up in the middle of the night and have to pee but wouldn't get up and then she would pee in the bed. I got tired of washing her sheets every day so with my help I made her start washing her own sheets when ever she did that. She stopped all accidents after that. Also for the sleepovers the do have the night time pants now that look and feel like underwear. But also just pull the mom aside and let her know because she has most likely had to deal too and can help your child if need be. And then no other kids will have to know anything.
    belise

Answer by belise at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2011