What would you do, or think, or even would you notice

LIBRARY HAS PLAY AREA- THIS IS NOT A RUDE LIBRARY QUESTION, THE LIBRARY SET UP TO HAVE KIDS BE KIDS WITH ADULTS SECTION FAR AWAY, KIDS WERE NOT LOUD , RUNNING WILD OR DISTRUBING OTHERS

you''re at library with your child , your child is between 3-6 yr old
there are six-seven kids playing together, one child (3.5yrs old) starting running in circles and making strange noises (this is autism stim-maybe you know this, maybe you do not)
all the other kids but one, start to run in circles and copy this action and the strange noises too

do you let the kids be kids
do you take your kids by the hand and leave in a hurry (giving the mom of the stimming child a "look"
or
do you not even notice that this is an autism thing and all the kids are "ACTING" in an autism like way

what do you think - if, you know that this child obviously has autism and is stimming and your kid is now "acting' like they have autism

if you know this is a classic autism thing and your child is now doing this, how does this make you feel

(this happened the other week, and YES, one mom took her two kids quickly out of library , nearly dragging them and did pause to give me a "look"
one mom seems not to notice - did not notice what her kids where doing or that they were "acting" autistic = God bless her!
another mom took opportunity of kids busy to go grab herself some books

which mom are you
or
are you me, the mom who has the child who is not "acting" autistic, just being herself

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 3:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I would let my kids play with your daughter. Kids are kids and can find friends anywhere. Maybe we should be taking cues from our kids more often.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I just let the kids play. Why would the woman take her kids and leave and give you a look? That's strange imo.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't really care, I'd let my son play. It's just kids playing with kids, and it doesn't matter if one is autistic. I'd be more likely to give the mom that left like her kids are going to "catch" autism or something, a dirty look cuz she's teaching her kids a very bad thing
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• To me, at a library is a place to be quiet and if kids want to play, take them to the park.
    Anonymous

• As long as my children were not being disruptive, I would let them play. Not that I would be judging anyone else at all, but if my children are capable of behaving and that the appropriate attitude for where we are then I would expect them to behave.. but I have seen libraries where there is a childrens area and kids can do what they want.. then by all means, play!
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• jigsaw ribbonWere they making fun of her? How did your daughter act,did she think it was funny or did she look upset? I've had kids make fun of my son and the parents don't even correct them. If the kids thought it was a game,thats ok,its when the parents act like its a bad thing that makes the kid think they did something wrong.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It was not as if they were mocking the child. And special needs children have a huge place in my heart and if my kids want to be friends with them then i say yay!!
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I am the mom of a child w/autism & as such, it is my responsibility to teach him how to behave appropriately in public spaces, so depending on what the expectations were for that particular place & time, I would either have allowed the kids to play or I would have used that moment to teach my child that we are quiet during our time in the library & redirected him to either engage w/the activity at hand or, if that just wasn't possible, provided him w/an alternative, more appropriate for the time & place stim. If my child was being impossible, then we would've stepped out until he was able to calm himself, if he was able to. If it were another's child with autism, I would expect them to do the same. If I had a typically developing child, again, it would depend on what the expectations were for that time & place as to whether or not I would say or do anything, although I wouldn't give dirty looks or drag my child away.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• smile and let the chldren be. They are learning from each other and hurting no one.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• When kids do anything that looks like it could be a health issue- people go nuts and want to "label" their children right away or worse, label other peoples' children. I don't get it.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011