Do you think convicted felons should be able to work in healthcare?

I have 3 felonies on my record for retail theft, retail theft, and forgery. Mind you this happened 20 years ago. iwas young, stupid and nieve. Anyway i got sent to prison for them for them for 2 to 4 years. I served 2 years in prison and was released in 1992. Never again did I get in trouble for anything. I went to school for a medical assistant and got my diploma. Now because of my record i can not get a job in healthcare. The school knew I had felonies and never told me that I would not be able to get a job after becasue of them. People do change.

catdog731

Asked by catdog731 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• i think that they should look into the history of the felonies, see what kind they are before they say yea or nay. like if ur going into medical and u had felonies dealing with drugs, then i would say no way, cause whose to say that u wont be taking those drugs from the hospital? also, they should look into how long it has been. some states say to not even worry about ur felonies if they are over 7 yrs old.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Nothing is impossible. I am a firm believer that getting a job mainly involves who you know. Believe it or not, most people get into their jobs because they KNOW someone who helped them get into that job. What if you contact an accquaintance from the school you went to who already has their foot in the door? Let them know your situation and ask them if they could put in a good word for you? Or what about the doctor's office you attend when you are sick? The next time you go to the MD office, talk to your doctor and let him/her know your situation. You'd be surprised that many people may have compassion for you. Tell them you'll prove yourself as a great worker and you just want a chance... or maybe they know someone they can recommend you to. Don't give up and good luck! Don't get discouraged!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 2:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Not sure where you live but in the state I live in it is the law now that no one with a felony can work in healthcare or with children. I cannot believe that the school did not tell you that your criminal history would be an issue. It really makes me question the school you went to. I am so sorry that you are going through this for something that happended 29 years ago. What about medical transcription? It is still healthcare but without having direct contact with patients.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 4:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Ya, its tough to get a job with that on your record. I have a friend who got in trouble...even though he didn't steal anything someone else did and its hard for him to find a job. Good luck...if your interested you could try working at home for yourself...I know of a great home business. Anyway, good luck!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• That's sad. i am sure you can do your job as good as the others, you just need a chance. They should leave your past behind once it pasts the 10 years age. Sorry to hear that.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It is really difficult to get a job in healthcare because of a record. They are probably looking at the fact that it happened 3 times and it was basically for the same thing.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Wow, I never knew this was an issue. I think msp12r has a point though, nothing is impossible. Your issues were not with physical harm to others, so I would think you'd have as much of a chance getting a job in retail than healthcare but what do I know.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2008