No body told me we werent giving gifts

I just found out this evening after completing my Christmas shopping, nothing extravagant, $30/person on 5 people, that my side of the family(3 people) is not giving gifts. I was also going to bake a bunch of goodies that I know they will like But I feel like such a jack a$$ now for having gotten gifts. No one told me we werent buying anything and Im not expecting anything in return I just bought items I thought would bring a little happiness to their lives. I feel like I am going to be embarased when it comes Christams day and like I am trying to outshine people. But no one told me about not doing gifts.

Has anyone elses family ever said Oh btw no gifts this year after you shopped already? Or just flat out switched plans like this without telling you? Howd you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Holidays

• I would say either return them, or save them and give them as birthday presents throughout the year! it will save you money later.
    monkeymom25

Answer by monkeymom25 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• By chance do you still have the reciets, take them back if you feel uncomfortable about it, I never experienced that so its the advice that I can offer
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 4:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree with married, if you feel uncomfortable, take them back. I've never dealt with that. In my family, it's known that we only buy for kids b/c there's just too many adults, so I've never had anyone switch it up on me at the last minute.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We've decided to only by for the kids this year in our own immediate family, but not by for neices & nephews like we have always done in the past. It kind of makes me sad, but I know there are a few family members that budgets are extra tight right now.

I LOVE the idea of keeping them for birthday presents!!!!!
    cacutie

Answer by cacutie at 9:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it! The idea isn't to give and receive...it's to give and expect nothing in return. If it makes you happy to give your loved ones a gift, then do it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The above are all good advice. My inclination would be to give the gifts since you picked them out with love, and explain that you didn't get the memo and already had the gifts and wanted to give them anyway even though the custom was being changed. Say it with a smile.

Answer by Bmat at 10:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• How did you not know about the "no gifts" rule?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Both sides of our family have decided not to do gifts for the adults, kids only this year. It is such a relief too because we don't have the money to spend. I do have some homemade gifts for both sets of parents that are "from the kids".
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We had something like that happen last year with dh's family. Everyone had decided to only buy for the kids, no adults. But I guess someone forgot to tell one of my SIL's and she bought gifts for everyone. I felt horrible when she gave me this really nice gift and we hadn't gotten her or her husband anything. I would either take the gifts back or save them for another occasion.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 1:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Most the things I purchased online through amazon and i find it a hassle to send stuff back to places like that (private sellers plus the extra shipping fees). There are no children in the family so theres no buy the kids stuff rule. My mom has a nack of talking about thing to my great aunt and uncle about things like this and not letting me in on it. Plus this is the FIRST year this has ever been in place for our family ever. It is just the 4 of us in my side of the family for the holidays. Hubby's side I bought them gifts and they always send money or gifts to us so theres no issue there just on my side...

I do like the idea of saving them for birthday gifts though!!
    Anonymous