Allergic reaction to steristrips?

I had surgery 11 days ago and now I'm having a huge allergic reaction to the steristrips...all red and bumpy and EXTREMELY itchy...so bad that I wake up bleeding.

Should I go to the ER? Treat it at home? Wait til my checkup on Wednesday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Health

• Hi, I just had back surgery this month! Actually this was my 3rd back surgery - I am not allergic to steri-strips - However, after my first surgery I had the same reaction ... I had red bumps all over my surgery area, they looked like bubbles filled with fluid and extremely itchy! I was allergic to Betadine (Iodine), they put it on your back right where the steri-strips go! Could it be that you were allergic to that because it sounds just like what happened to me! Are you allergic to shellfish (if you are then you are also allergic to Iodines and mosrt people don't know it until something like that happens!!!!!! Hope this helps to figure it out, let me know!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It could be the benzoin tincture used to glue them in place. I have a similar reaction and it is horrible. The worst thing is that it is glue and the only way it will get better is when your skin sloughs it off. I seriously wanted to use a cheese grater on my incision. The doctor put me on Atarax and I was sprinking the rash areas with corn starch. I am severely allergic to it!! I'm not allergic to any iodine containing products, but that tincture..ugh!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Its the glue. Some of tape reactions from the glue are actually latex allergies. I would put in a call to my doctor. See if there is anything you can put on it. I'm allergic to it too. They can only use paper tape on me. Even then if its on too long it gets itchy. I get blisters too.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 2:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2011