Ugh! His friends tell me that my SO was never addicted to WOW... ugh you tell me what you think!

For the two months that my SO played WOW he became very addicted. He would get only two to four hours of sleep a night because he would come home from work and play until he fell asleep at the computer.

He barely knew I existed and many times had no idea that I was talking to him. I would bring him food and he would not eat it because he was too busy playing. He decided on his own to quit playing because he knew he was addicted.

Now his WOW friends are telling me that I am over exaggerating how much my SO played and telling me that he was never addicted.

They want him to play again, he does not want to play, and they are blaming me. WTF? Would you say it was an addiction? What would you do?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 4:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• I would definantly say it was an addiction..I mean if he isnt even eating and getting hardly any sleep becuase he'd rather play WOW. I think you are lucky that he was able to identify it for himself and that he is the one saying that he doesnt want to play again. Addiction is a serious thing and can really screw up lives. I'd say for you both to ignore the comments of those people, they obviously arent that great of friends if they are trying to encourage him back into his addiction...People would never tease an alcoholic with beer/liquir if they were actually friends, they would be supportive and respectful of the decision made even if they dont agree with it 100%
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 4:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• OMFG my damn husband is addicted to this stupid game...he comes home from work and plays it until he goes to bed! He completely ignores me and our daughter....it is THE most annoying gae EVER...I understand how you feel this game is annoying! LOL you're not alone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes its definetly a addiction and of course the computer geeks wouldn't agree with you they cant even see that they are addicted to it, good for your hubby for quiting on his own, I am battling my husband and his addiction to xbox
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 4:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have played mmo/rpg games for over six years casually with my husband usually on rare nights after the kiddies are in bed. I have seen people get sucked into these games and it's insane and a bit sad how they don't see it themselves. Yes, your spouse sounded like he was addicted and he sounds like he is a smart guy to know this about himself. The thing is you're not going to sway his friends, mainly because they are narrow minded wanting him to play and wanting a person to blame if he doesn't, and because they themselves probably have some addiction to the game. A LOT of gamers do, and those of us that game casually get tired of those that "live" in these games w/o any perspective of the world going on outside.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 4:21 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• HE needs to tell them that it was his choice to cut back on playing. He also needs to bring up that teenage boy that went into seizures because of playing it so much. Those friggin idiots on WOW don't get that SOME men have lives outside of WOW. Most of them are losers that have nothing else to do. Unless he's friends with them in real life and not just over the internet, I wouldn't give two shits what they think. It IS an addiction. Do you think addicts are able to point out when they or someone else is addicted to something???
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I've played WOW before, but I have to admit I don't have the time or patience to get very involved. We have two friends who have absolutely ruined their lives with this game - one guy dropped out of college two semesters away from graduation because he would rather play the damn thing, and the other guy's SO of 4 years left him six months before the wedding because that's all he did. They both cooled off a little bit (mostly because they didn't have enough money to keep playing, they both quit their jobs because of the game) but in the last three months or so they got back on it. College boy at least goes to work but then he plays whenever he's home, other guy is ignoring his new SO and her son to play all the time and she's about to throw him out again.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• is this the weapons of war game you are talking about ,b.c if so then my sons are both addicted to this game , they keep telling me they need to use the computer to do their homework and when I come over and check they are on this game . I think your SO is doing the right thing . by staying off it .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 6:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My DH played WOW for a long time and it got to the point were, if I did not have children, I would have left. We got into a huge fight and did not talk for days. He finally stopped playing for a little while. Now he is playing again, but we have a better understanding of each other.

If we have something going on he is not upset that he can not play. He does not play every night and we do spend time together.

I think you just need to talk to him and have him tell his friends that it is not you, He is the one deciding to spend time with you and that he is not ready to start playing right now.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• mine is addicted to texas hold em on myspace ugh!!!!!!
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 7:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I hate that game! I have not slept in the bed with my SO in over a FREAKING YEAR because he falls asleep playing it. He plays every day after work for 8 hours and plays approximately 18 hours both Saturday and Sunday. I'm actually planning to leave his WOW-playing ass after the holidays. I swear I will never get involved with another man that even looks at a computer game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2008