Developmental Delays?

Has anyone else had a child that was delayed, so they started signing with them at 2 1/2 years old? It was suggested that I start signing with my son, he doesn't talk yet and he's nearly 3 years old. I haven't really worried about it until recently. His 2 older siblings didn't talk until they were 3 years too, but as soon as they started, you'd have never known they hadn't been doing it for years. Infant & Toddlers think that if he starts signing to let me know what he wants he may start talking as well. Right now we are working on teaching him: yes, no, eat & drink. Any suggestions on other words would be helpful. No one in either of our families sign.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we taught my almost four year old some basic signs. she non communicative until like six months to a year ago. all she would ever do was scream... so we taught her the signs for momma dada eat drink more sorry thank you and sleep and things were not perfect after but at least we ahd an idea of what was going on hope that helps:)
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 4:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Personally I think it might be confusing for him. Some children just don't talk yet, like your other children and then start talking in sentences. If he doesn't have a hearing impairment, there is no reason why he won't talk just fine...when HE'S ready, not when everyone else thinks he should be. There's too much emphasis put on "normal" and "delays" Everyone is different and everyone does things at their own pace. It doesn't mean they are learning disabled, slowed, delayed or whatever other politically correct term is being used nowadays.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Thanks 4g4b! That's exactly how my son is. No one is sure what's going on with him, they say he shows signs of Autism, but they don't think that's what the problem is because of how engaged he is when he plays. And attap5, he recently got tubes in his ears because he got infections constantly and the fluid wouldn't drain. They said it was like hearing under water. It was all muffled to him. Hopefully now that his ears have been taken care of he'll start talking. We are going to use signing as a way to communicate with him until then. Less tantrums if we know what he wants.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes, both my 2nd and 3rd had speech delays. My 2nd was in the Birth to 3 program (from 18mo to age 30 and then had special ed (from ages 3-5) thru the school district. My 3rd was in special ed thru the school district from 2 yr 9mo to current age of 5. I did sign with my boys, I would sign and also say the words, we used: more, please, thank you, yes, no, drink, eat, play, sleep, we also used some of the food signs, and of course kitty (we have cats). Is your child's doctor aware of this delay? If so what does he/she say about it? Is he/she concerned, and could he/she give you are referral for a developmental screening? Or call your school district and ask if they offer any screenings, and if they have any programs for speech delayed children.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My 3 year old doesn't talk where I can understand her completely, but she can sing and know the words. When she ask for stuff, she say's one word like "cupcakes" and "juice" or goes to the fridge to get fruit out of it.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011