Low-Back Surgery?

I just had my 3rd back surgery on June 17, 2011. (Previous low-back surgery November 2010 & Oct. 1995) I had herniated discs in L4+L5 - the sciatica pain down my leg was sooo bad! The surgeries took the disc material off my nerve route (& they put s screw spacer in), relieving my leg and foot pain! However, I am so scared because this keeps reoccurring - I think the next step is fusion surgery. Is there such a thing as disc replacement surgery or is fusion what is in my future? I heard it is painful and limits mobility a lot ... is it helpful or too painful?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Health

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • Is there a disc replacement... kind of... My brother had a foam that hardens injected into the space between his vertebrae in hid low back. But I have no idea that the it was called. He had it about 5 years ago, and has been pain free ever since!! He's an industrial electrician, it was work related, but he has returned to work with out pain. Good luck!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Everyone that I have talked to that has had their back fused has just ended up in alot of pain for the rest of their life...but I'm not a doctor so don't take my words to mean that this will happen to you too.

I have two hernieted discs in my lower back(L3-4, L4-5) and I understand your pain, I also have degenerative disc disease throughout my back which is caused by arthritis in my Facet joints of my spine. But I would never do surgery unless it was necessary to keep me from being paralyzed or something.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• (OH my... so sorry for the typos in that post... the kids were bugging me and I didn't proof it!)

Any ways.. by brother had the surgery in Portland Maine... if that helps your doc research the procedure at all.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Cool... I just sent off an e-mail to my brother got get more info... I'll PM it to you when I know something ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• my husband just got an electrostimulator implanted in his back for pain, he is now about 80% pain free...it is marketed by St.Jude (not the kids hospital) google it, it may help you, good luck!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I live in Maine!
    isismoon3

Comment by isismoon3 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011