3 y/o w fever

at what temp would you take your l/o to the er? My 3 y/o has a fever of 102...it's been as hight as 102.7----he says his tummy hurts, no vomitting, poops or anything...he's been asleep abt 2 hrs....gave ib.

oregonduck

Asked by oregonduck at 4:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My 4 year is experiencing the same thing. We're on day two and his fever is lingering around 100 degrees. I haven't taken in him, but the doctor told me to if his fever lasts into tomorrow or if it reaches 104 or above. Hope this helps and hops your little one gets to feeling better quickly!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I forgot to mention the my son's fever was up to 102.7 yesterday as well.
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• thanks....Im just a paranoid mama Ii guess---hope your l/o is better soon too!!!
    oregonduck

Comment by oregonduck (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i would say give him ibprofen then rotate with childrens tylenol also you can give him a bath in tempid water not hot nor cold and if his fever doesnt break in a hour or so I would take him to the er to prevent febrile seizure not trying to scare you but it happens you have to watch make sure he is responsive and not sluggish and keep taking his temp every hour till it goes down and stays down
    THAT_GURL

Answer by THAT_GURL at 4:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Ive been takin his temp like every 15 mins, a seizure is my biggets fear---it's happend to my friends 3yr old
    oregonduck

Comment by oregonduck (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• As long as the medicine is bringing it down from the 102.7 then there is need to worry about febrile seizures. Our doctor has explained to us that a high fever is around 104 and that's when they begin to worry.
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• ok---thanks!!!!!
    oregonduck

Comment by oregonduck (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• 104 and higher is when most of the time a doctor will see them. Give fluids, rest, also medicine. Or I use those be cool patchs that you put on their forehead or chest so not to much medicine for them. Call doctor though if other signs like ear pain,etc. Or if complains muscles or sore. Mine ran a temp and no one could figure it out but come to find out under her arm as a cyst that turned it mrsa. When in doubt since moms know their kids take them in when they are just not themselves. Might be cutting some back teeth so check for red gums since that can make them run a temp
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• oregonduck,

It might do you some good to just do a little research on how a fever works. I would never lower a fever unless my child is dehydrated, lethargic or in lots of pain (pain killers reduce fevers so there isn't many ways around that). All 5 of my kids have very strong immune systems and are usually only sick with something for 24 hours. My oldest will run a short fever about 4 or 5 hours, and be done with it. It will never make scenes to me why parents fight so hard against their children s own immune systems instead of working with them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• give baby advil, it works fastest
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 6:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2011