Stripping your membranes..?

My due date is July 4th (today) and the past two weeks that I have been to the doctor I have not made any progress in thinning out or dilating. Some friends have told me to have my doctor "strip my membranes", has anyone ever had this done before? If so, did it work? And what exactly does it mean? ..Keep in mind, this is my first baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My 1st baby was due on July 4th. He came 9 days late, on Friday the 13th. I have no clue what they do when they strip the membranes,but best wishes to you,and your new little one, take care.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• The insert a finger to the inside of the cervix and sweeep in a full cirlce. It breaks cell contact which can release prostigladins. Prostigladins are hormones that induce labor. It also can introduce bacteria. As a nurse I tell patiets not to allow it. It only works if your body is ready anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I've heard it is painful and only sometimes works ..would you recommend it or no?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It can be very uncomfortable, it doesn't always work and I would advise against it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Sorry about the typoes. I was typing too fast and not double checking.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Thank you, I have also read online that you typically need to be dilated to at least 1cm before they will do it. And i've not dilated any, yet. I did learn from the doctors office that I have a "retroverted uterus" and they told me that it will just make the process a lot longer..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I would recommend it. It wasn't that uncomfortable, and my water broke less than 48 hours later. But I was dilated to a 3 before she did it. You do have to be dilated at least a fingertip for them to do it, with no dilation, they can't get their fingers in to do the sweep.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I had a friend who had her membranes stripped every visit for 3 weeks and it did nothing. She ended up having to be induced a week after her due date. Most women tend to go over their due date with first babies. Baby will come when baby is ready.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• You HAVE been making progress: you have gestated TWO MORE weeks!
    :-)

The cervix does not give information about when-how we will labor.
    It's safest to avoid checking.
    As you know now, it creates expectations. Unrealistic expectations.
    AND now you are considering intervening.

Unnecessary interventions add unnecessary risks.

Safer to avoid all that gunk to begin with if your preferences are Health & Safety.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• LOL!
    oh! I just realized that it's your first baby.
    Since a due date is only the MID-point of the average (estimated) due period (38-42 weeks),
    AND for first-time moms, the average is not 40 weeks, but rather 41 weeks 1 day (!), you do have a while before you are at that mid-point anyhow.
    That means the normal length to gestate.

Just thought you might like to know that you really don't need to worry about adding risks to you / your baby.
    You're normal & fine, within that normal range still.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2011