• In the Spotlight:

Middle Child question?

I have three kids my oldest is a girl then the other two are boys, my daughter is laid back, happy go lucky the youngest is just ornery i don't favor my kids i love them all the same and they all get treated equally but my goodness the middle one has a temper, and the more i punish him (take toys away,time out, sometimes even smack his butt i dont beat my kids) it makes him worse he crys over the the littlest things and i dont know what else to do......I've always heard people say the middle child needs more attention so anyone that has advice or that has went through this i would appreciate some feed back thanks so much!

WvMommyof3

Asked by WvMommyof3 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't buy into the whole "middle-child" syndrome. It sounds like that is his personality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't believe in the middle child syndrome either, my middle child can be just as good or just as rotten as the others but I love them all the same.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• my 17 yo son is a mc he at times uses this to his advantage, other times he actually feels left out, he's a lot more sensitive than his siblings,i love them all 3 but sometimes he pulls at my heart a little different ~ i see it in his eyes too sometimes i catch myself leaning toward his way a little more than the other 2, i also catch myself sliding him an extra 20 bucks for no reason, ( lol you can get a lot of taco bell with 40 bucks ya know ) i don't think i helped you but just sharing my son with you :) a little

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have the exact same issue. My kids are 2, 4, and 5...my youngest is my girl and the other 2 are boys.

My middle child is extremely emotional and strong-willed. He usually vents his frustration with anger. I raise my kids all the same way and my oldest isn't like that at all. He's much more passive. I give them all the same amount of attention too. He is THE most difficult child I've ever seen and has brought me to tears before because I was so frustrated with him.

I'm still trying to figure him out...I wish I had advice for you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My sister has 3 kids.. 14 (girl), 12 (boy), 5 (girl)... hers are just the opposite.. her girls are MUCH harder to handle. But, her son is definately more emotional than the girls..not so much now, as he was when he was littler.. but I think he just doesnt show it as much because hes "becoming a man" hehe. Her oldest has always been the hardest and its just getting harder as she gets older and thinks she is independant.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 1:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have a middle child and my MIL is always trying to tell me that his problems are just because he's a middle child. I don't buy into it at all.

My middle child has developmental issues and is suspect for PDD-NOS.

(they're all boys, ages 4, 3, 2)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have three boys 12, 10, and 7. My middle boy is the same. He always feels like he is left out or that love his brothers more than him. It comes from the fact that they are not the oldest, who gets to do everything first, and not the youngest, who doesn't have as much expected of them. It seems like middle children also have a hard time finding themselves. Johny is into what ever his brothers are into but had a really hard time finding what he liked. We try to let the kids try new things all the time. This let him see that there was more out there than what his brothers were interested in. We also let each of them pick a weekend activity. This way no one feels left out. Depending on how old he is talk to him. Tell him that you love them all the same. That there are things about each of them that are special to you, make sure you can list at least a few for each.
    san3

Answer by san3 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• there are 4 of us and i am one of my middle kids and when any of us would give my aunt crap she would just smile and say "but i still love you" and o how it would make us mad but it worked there isn't a single one of us who doesn't love our aunt she's like a second mother
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 2:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2008