Why some people have to pay because they have insurance, WTH

I got a notifaction on facebook, about a fund-raiser for a local girl who has cancer.
Which is great, I don't mind going to see poeple in the community and paying $15 a plate for dinner to go towards a good cause.
BUT I was thinking about this: it says on there that the family has health insurance and they need $12,000 as like a down payment for the hospital before they'll do the surgery.
BUT if they family had no insurance, wouldn't this just be done for free? If the parents didn't have some money they'd qualify for some sorta help to have this surgery done and save thier child.
This really upsets me! Why does this family have to reach out the the community (which I'm thankfull that we're here for each other in the community, that I live in) BUT why?
When if the family was here illegaly or had no resorces - no one would think twice about it and it would be done and paid for by the government. (medicaid or something)

Why does this family have to go into financial debt to save thier child?

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Health

• That is ridiculous! Hope that little girl gets the surgery she needs!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It's not new. We have insurance and still have to pay ahead for some procedures. My mother had a hernia from a recent surgery and the hospital literally would not even schedule the appointment for the surgery until they had $500 in the business office from her and she has insurance too. The problem is insurance (and many hospitals sadly) is a joke anymore.

This poor girl is a prime example of how bad the medical industry has become. And no, even if a family has no insurance they don't get medical care for free and surely not cancer treatments. The people who don't have to pay and still get care are public assistance recipients.
    Anonymous

• Thats a shame! I wouldn't even take money from the mother I would feel so guilty. Making money off of someone being ill. Im not talking about doctors who are treating someone for a cold, flu ect. But situations like this..it just makes me angry
    Anonymous

• Childrens hospitals take all children with issues like cancer for free regardless of medical coverage or not. I know this for a fact.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I got one better then that My husband has Cancer and we had no Insurance then they put him on Medicaid and still cant get any help
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 8:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I know. It's messed up isn't it. The insurance companies justify their large premiums due to the frivilous malpractice lawsuits. And the uninsured who are driving up the rates for medical care.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 6:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• No, it would not be free if they didn't have insurance. They would have to work out a payment plan IF the hospital chose to allow the procedure to happen. They would carry the burden of the debt.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I read in a San Antonio, TX newspaper while on vaction that an illigal immagrant fell while trying to cross the boarder. They air lifted him into the United State's, he had surgery and they fixed him all up. For FREE! I'm sure they didn't work out a payment plan for him.
    This is a child with cancer. So her parents decied they cannot afford the surgery and the little girl dies. Does the law then go after the parents? (just thinking outside the box)
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• They have a down payment??? That's a weird word to describe an insurance issue. Is it a co-payment that you mean to say? Because that comes with insurance. Sorry that the little girl's family is having trouble, but they have insurnace like so many other's can't afford, especially in this economy.
    I myself have insurance and have to pay for things also.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 6:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• That is an extremely high deductible. That is unusual. I hope they raise the money.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011