I have been divorced for 3yrs and have been dating a man seriously for 2yrs. All 3 of my kids seem to truly like (dare I say even LOVE) this man, however, my 14 yr old daughter has been verbally disrespectful to my BF on occassion. I have discussed this issue with her repeatedly and yet she continues to speak out of place to him. Should he and I have a discussion with her together, or should I continue to handle this issue on my own?

My BF does not have children of his own. He is 48 years old.

mommymelissa504

Asked by mommymelissa504 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Does she say why she feels the need to be rude to him? She shouldn't do it regardless, but maybe there is an underlying issue that sheneeds to address with you?
    Mom2theboy1994

Answer by Mom2theboy1994 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• U need to bust her and your boyfriend needs to also. My man, I just married a month ago, had to command respect from my 14 year old daughter and it worked.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I had issues with one of my moms boyfreinds and I was right ask why she feels this way?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Its probably nothing personal towards your BF its probably her having a hard time with the divorce, did your children have any counciling after the divorce, were you a close family before the divorce, are you children close to their father??? Her behavior isnt acceptable but you and her have to have a deep conversation about WHY she does this and how she FEELS, not just telling her she shouldnt do it. You should also talk to your BF about it and explain you feel their is a little more too it and your trying to get to the bottom of it, Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• also often many times the parents get over divorce alot more quickly than children, three years isnt that long for children.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Address it with her first and if she doesn't give anything logical to work with then pull him in. Divorce is difficult on all family members but there comes a time when one just needs to move on.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 7:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I was this way toward my mom's first boyfriend after she and my dad got divorced...... Generally, when I hate someone it's bc I have a bad feeling about them. .....this man ended up molesting my younger sisters. ....I would talk to her about why she feels this way. I wouldn't have him talk to her, though. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It wouldn't hurt for both of you to talk to her. She may or may not give you answers. This is probably hard on her.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• She is a fourteen year old kid. She is going to be disrespectful.. You should talk to her and see what her problem is. Maybe it is something serious and you don't even know it.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• How about family counseling, for the three of you?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011