Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My baby can barely hear please read!!!

My 4yr is healthy but up until 4days ago all of a sudden she could barely hear anymore. Her dr refused to see her because I couldn't pay on her balance which is $180. I took her to the ER and they cleaned her ears, said she was fine and we went home. Now five days later I took her back to ER because even though her ears are clean she can barely hear but they can't find anything wrong but insist I take her to audiologist. Well her pediatrician won't give her a referral to the ear dr because I can't make a $50 payment on her balance. Is this legal? Can she really refuse to give me a referral? If so is there any other way I can get a referral to a audiologist?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I used to work for American Hearing Aid Associates and I can tell that alot of audiologists will do hearing tests at no cost. Just call audiologists in your area directly.

    Answer by Syphon at 7:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

  • Can you find another doctor or get on some type of assistance to help you out with the payments. Thats so cruel. I understand they have a business and yadda yadda but thats so mean!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

  • grr doctors make me upset sometimes. Mother's intuition is often stronger than a doctor's brain. Having said that. There has to be a way for you to see an audiologist without a referral. I hope you get it checked SOON.. I was born deaf and parents didnt know until I was 2 ish. In the 60's medical field wasnt as advance as it is now. Anyway get it checked so you can start early intervention.. the sooner the better!

    Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

  • Can you apply for Medicaid?
    I know some people are against getting government help but hearing loss can be signs of something worse. Both of my girls are severely deaf and they had to have MRI's, CT Scans and all kinds of other tests run to make sure the hearing loss wasn't linked to something else.

    Answer by dmdblleb at 6:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

  • Maybe call and ask to speak to the Dr. directly. Tell them it is urgent. I don't think it is the Dr.'s. I think it is their office staff. anytime I have spoken to the Dr. directly they usually don't care and really just want to make sure the child gets the medical attention they need. The office staff just wants to make sure they do their job and collect and get the paperwork in. :)

    If they don't help, find Dr.s associated with children's hospitals. ???? See if you can borrow $50 from a relative.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2011