How can I get my 20 month old DD to stop throwing herself on the floor and banging her head when she get's frustrated or doesn't get her way?

I have been having this problem with my DD for a few months now. I thought it was just a phase but it is getting worse! I don't know if I should ignore the behavior or what?? I do not believe in hitting (Violence breeds violence) and I do try to talk to her to see what I can do but all that does is make her even MORE angry..HELP!

Mom0fthree08

Asked by Mom0fthree08 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore it. My son used to do it and I freaked out about and pedi said just ignore it. You give them any kind of attention and they will just keep doing it and make it worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My child did that for a little while, I did the talking and time outs. It got worse and she would do it in public. So one day we were in line at the grocery store and she saw candy and went the hell off when I said no. I calmly took her in the bathroom and popped her butt w/o the diaper and told if she wanted a toy or candy she better learn how to ask nicely. She has the best manners now and no more fall-outs. Sometimes they need some reinforcement or else they will walk all over you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My dd did the same thing. My pedi said to ignore it. When I said that not only was she throwing herself on the floor kicking and screaming she was banging her head on the floor, she said throw her a pillow .My pedi said that she is doing it cause she is a-frustrated & can't communicate what she wants b-bored c-over stimulated. She said when she is done sit her down in a quiet area and try to calmly play with her.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 9:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Ignore it..Spanking them just enforces more anger I believe. Absolutly agree with first comment giving them any attention at all neg or pos is what they want and they will keep doing it .My 7 year old was spanked by his father for discipline and I used timeouts and talking too. (ignored in situations like yours then explained) Actually now would rather take a spank then timeout or removal of privilages from me! He tells me spanking hurts for a second but at least I dont have to stare at the wall or lose my toys! LOL So much more affective longterm wise to just ignore and explain later. Eventually when she is older and is does the temper tantrum thing she will become embarassed.
    Drezaysmom

Answer by Drezaysmom at 9:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i say let her do it she knows what she is doing and if you show her that it gets to you she know that she has won
    Timmys_Mommy07

Answer by Timmys_Mommy07 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2008