Who here tried Baby Can Read and does it work or a waste of money?

I'm thinking about buying my daughter that and some people said it works for their kids while others said it was a waste of money. I want to know.

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've heard that it was a waste of money, but my baby girl is definitely reading, she just turned 2. Its awesome, I was so proud of her when she read the word Hi and eyes, then nose, then ears, then arms up. I think its definitely worth it. At wal mart they have the separate volumes for about 25 dollars. If you want to just test it out.
    It took her a while, because we started after she was 1, and she was following the comands they say, but just recently she started reading the words. I love it and I think it's definitely worth it
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• (ps) she reads a lot more than just those words I said above, for further convincing ... ;)
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Didn't work with my DS. but I think every kid is different.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I agree, every kid is different, but it worked for one of my friend's kids!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 7:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Personally, I think it's a hoax. They're taking advantage of the modern tendency parents have of wanting their children to be the first, the most advanced, to do things other kids their age don't yet do. IMHO, this isn't only pointless, it can be counterproductive. There's a reason why we reach certain milestones at certain ages. Would any of us buy a system that forces our kids to walk when they're 4 months old? Most of us would jump at the idea as being dangerous or even abusive. We could see how hurrying something like that could be harmful. Why not mental milestones?
    Second, no baby can "read". Actual reading involves certain abstract concepts that babies haven't yet developed. What those babies are doing is simply memorizing a different "image" for a particular word. They're not identifying letters and realizing that "e" represents a particular sound.

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• All i did was read to my DD every night and eventually she learned on her own. With my working with her also
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 7:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• From what I've heard, it doesn't jive well with how our school system works, so the way they learn that makes it harder for them to learn when they get into school. I've consistently heard about kids having problems with that as they get older.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It's just memorization. It's not teaching them to read. Kids need to learn phonics in order to pronounce words correctly to read.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• So what's the point really? It's really not gonna give a child any advantage to memorize the image of a word as opposed as the real image of a word.
    Furthermore, the message we send our children when trying to push milestones is that they have to be the first and the best and that's really the best way to ensure our children will end up being the opposite.
    IMHO, the best way to teach a child to read when he's old enough to do it it's by reading TO them (which actually contributes to bonding and experiences together rather than dropping a book in front of him when he's 3) and letting them see you enjoying reading a good book. That's really what creates a love of reading. Pushing flash cards in their eyes when they're 6 months old? Not so much.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Just remember the Baby Einstein fiasco. I don't know how many parents actually thought that strapping a baby in a swing and putting them in front of the TV would make them geniuses but for the rest of us it was obvious it's not as simple as that. The rest of us also don't crave for a genius child, anyway.
    So what would flashing cards do for a child's development? I think absolutely nothing.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2011