Washer broke. took clothes to laundrymat but can I do at at home. Does any one out there wash clothes by hand?

Till washer gets fixed. I can go to the laundrymat but have 3 kids I would have to take along, plus not cheap to do. Does anyone wash their clothes by hand. can anyone give me an easy way to do at home till husband gets around to fixing the washer?

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 7:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When our washer broke, my mom used to stick the clothes in the bathtub with laundry detergent and use a big stick to stir them around a lot. Then she'd do a rinse cycle then hang them out to dry. lol
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• that just might work.
    momindiana

Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I wash my clothes in the sink when not enough money to go to the laundromat

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I used to stomp on mine in the bath tub to wash them. Then I hung them outside and hit them with the hose.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I used either the tub or the kitchen sink. Btw this is also a great way to keep your tub/sink sparkling clean lol. Just make sure you rinse well and remember to gauge your detergent use on the size of the tub/sink you are using. If its a sink you only need 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount of detergent. For a tub up to 1 + 1/2 depending on the load size. I always tried to do mine first thing in the morning, that way they could hang all day in the sunshine if needed and be dry, folded and put away before bed. One other thing... some detergent companies make a "bar" of soap for getting out tough stains stuff that won't come out easily. Just rub on and scrub :D. Hope he fixes it soon for ya!
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 7:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I use the tub when I can't machine wash. Fill it about 1/2 way and throw the clothes in with your usual amount of detergent. Roll your pants up to the knees and step on the clothes. Push them around with your feet and really smush them. Rinse a few times and step on them when you do so. Hang to dry.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• you can also use a plunger in your tub.......make sure it is clean like right from the store...........you can also put the clothes in a 5gallon bucket then use the plunger..............works really well.............i do it every time we go camping
    mghtymffn

Answer by mghtymffn at 8:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• A couple of ways you might consider  1 by hand or 1 by feet

I kind of like the feet.  

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I've washed by hand. It sucks. I only did the baby's clothes (newborn onesies and stuff). My hands were so sore from wringing them out I could barely move them after. The washing part was easy. I just tossed them all in the tub with some detergent and filled it with warm water, swished it around a bit. Rinsing and wringing out the water took forever.
    And that was just baby clothes. I could have never done the older kids' bigger clothes or me and hubby's stuff. It took me like 2 hours to rinse and wring a full load of laundry.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have used the tub and stomped on them. I have heard the plunger idea before.Shampoo is easier on your hands than laundry soap
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011