Daughter in law putting up a stink ...

my sons wife pretty much ruined our 4th of july celebrations this weekend.

My son was friends with this great girl before ( i actually had hoped he ended up with her), but they were just friends... of course DIL thinks there was more to it ( the friend use to live with us for a short time even and i knew there was nothing going on ) ...

well my DIL had asked me a couple weeks ago if I had known anyone who wanted the baby girl clothes that my new grandaughter had outgrown ... of course since i still talk to the sweet friend, i knew she was having a little girl soon and said that I knew someone who wanted them....

i could tel DIl was annoyed when she found out who i gave them to, but oh well because she didnt tell me NOT to give them to her...

and then this past weekend I invited the friend to our family 4th of july events ( cookout, camping, etc.) ... well when my son and she got there, they only stayed for an hour and i could tell DIL was in a stink and made them leave...

i confronted my son as DIL was putting the baby in the car and asked what the deal was , my son said she just didnt want to stay because the friend was there and they were leaving...

Today we had the second part of our celebration, and after telling my sister about how DIl acted I had her ask her why she was acting so rude ( my sister has a loud mouth so i knew she would find out lol ) ... So when DIL and my son got there and say down my sister pounced and kept asking her why she acted like that, telling her that it is very unattractive to act jealous over a friendship and that this girl is considered a family friend and she needs to knock it off...

well DIL started crying and went and say in her car ( now I am not mean and i felt bad she was crying, but on the other hand she was ruining the family fun) , me and my sister went out and asked her why she was crying and she said that my son had slept with that girl when they first started dating and she just found out... BUT I know that is a LIE ... my son wouldnt sleep with his friend, and the girl is too sweet, plus she was married at the time. I actually felt bad for DIL but now i am just mad, and I honestly think she is jealous of my friendship with her ( friend) ... but really isnt it My choice who i am friends with ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• WOW, really?? You are still friends with someone that was formerly close to your son and your DIL isn't all too happy with and wonder why she doesn't like it???

She's your flipping DIL, one would think you'd try to get along with her rather than pushing her buttons!!!
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you invite her and intiate reasons to have this girl at family functions to get at your DIL. I'd be pissed to. And how do you know what happened and didn't happen between the girl and your son? Just because she's "sweet"? You sound like a troublemaker.
    Anonymous

• Why are you such a bitch to your daughter in law? You are the type of mother in law that gives mother in law's a bad name. Your son married her. She is your family not some random female friend that you had hoped she would end up with. If I were your daughter in law I would do more than leave the family gatherings... i would stay away with my child. i also know that my husband would back me 100 percent. You see, she is his wife. She is his family. She and their child come first.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I'm just wondering what makes you so sure he didn't sleep with her? Try putting yourself in your DIL's shoes, how would you feel? Really think about it!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It sounds like you are ruining the family weekend. If you know that girl makes your DIL uncomfortable why would you invite her? Your the mom you don't know if anything happened between your son and her or not. Maybe she is acting a little childish about not wanting to be around her but you and your sister acted just as childish.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• You are the reason MILs have bad reputation. If you want to have a relationship with your grandchild I would suggest you stop acting like the wicked witch of the west.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• because i know they didnt.. I asked my son before about it and he said that they didnt do anything ...

i am not a bad mother in law i just think it is bull crap that just because my son met this girl, married her and got pregnant that all of a sudden I have to stop being friends with the other girl... she is like a daughter to me - like I said she even lived me with when her bio. mom kicked her out !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• also.. even if he did sleep with her..so what.... it was a year ago
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Oh my, your DIL would rather you not talk to her husband's (your son's) ex.....and yet you do, you even gave clothes to her KNOWING how your DIL felt. You sic your sister on her. You are putting this other woman ahead of your own DIL just because you wanted your son to be with her instead of the woman he did choose. SUPPORT YOUR SON AND THE WOMAN HE CHOSE.
    Quit being an big ass in this relationship.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• OP, I've had a DIL I didn't like but I didn't want to lose contact with my son so I swallowed it and said nothing. You are blowing this one big time. Your DIL is your SONS choice. He obviously is backing her. You telling your sister so she could act like a a total bitch was inexcusable. You owe her an apology at minimum. You visit with your family friend when your son and his family aren't around. YOU ruined your get together, not the DIL.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011