what to teach him???

my son just turned 1 and i know this is the time wear his little mind is growing.but im not sure what to teach him or what he is suppose to be learning.he likes to look at books but he wont sit still long enough to read a whole one he like the computer keyboard so i took an old keyboard and gave it to him and he will sit there with it for a while but thats not really treaching him anything ????

Timmys_Mommy07

Asked by Timmys_Mommy07 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• work with him on fine motor skilss, speech and incorporate colors, big/small and shapes at the same time. Stacking rings are wonderful toys to start with. Shape sorters also help teach all these aspects. You can teach informally in everything you do. Re: lets look at the blue book or opening a box "lets OPEN it and see what is INSIDE"... at bathtime " Wow, lets use the YELLOW towel" As you're drying name body parts...all teaching phrases. At one there doesn't need to be a lot of formal teaching. As a Mom you should take the opportunity to teach in every activity. The more you talk to them the more likely they are to develop early speech. .
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You don't have to "teach" him anything. He learns by playing. Just play with him. Blocks are fun at this age and don't be to pushy for him to learn. They come up with colors, letters and numbers all on their own. One learning tool you can use when you play with him is talking to him. Use correct words and just talk. They pick up 95% of their vocab from hearing other people say it over and over.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My DD loved blocks at this age, if he enjoys the keyboard start working on letters. When he pushes one tell him what letter it is and eventually you can ask him to push whatever key and he will do it. By 18months old my daughter knew 1-10 and all letters. Some say she's advanced so she did that early but youcan always try it. By 2 she knew up to 30 and added her colors and shapes. The other ladies are right on too.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree with momofsaee. you don't have to 'teach' him anything - you just play and expose him to a wide variety of things. Give him some crayons and paper. Talk to him as he scribbles. Tell him the name of the colors he's selecting. Go for walks and talk about what you see. Label EVERYTHING - this is going to help him develop language skills, identify shapes, colors, letters, numbers, etc. Children are sponges...but they learn best by experiencing and playing. Both my kids learned a tremendous amount simply by playing and experiencing. My son was identifying his letters at 13 months old simply because he was exposed to it through various games and play.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• google day care lesson plans or toddler lesson plans for fun activites that will teach him lots of fundimentals.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the others....label everything you do with him! He'll work on his speech and you'll be surprised what they pick up through play!!! Count things out for him, point out letters, shapes, numbers and colors...he'll have it all down pat before you realize what's going on!!! (my three year old started writing words I didn't even know he could spell!!!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• For the ABC's and 123's: have a letter of the day and look for that letter in his books, make it out of playdoh, spot it out shopping. Have a color of the day and use that crayon, that color playdoh, spot the color on toys and in the store. Count out treats and the things you buy. Some kids learn these early (in their 1's and 2's) some learn them late (4's and 5's) - both are normal. Kids have a LOT of stuff to learn and these just aren' that important to all kids.
    For reading, remember that the goal isn't to finish the book. It's to let him enjoy the book as long as he wants. Point out things in the story that are in the pictures. Point out things in the pictures that he sees in real life. Talk about how the characters are feeling.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• And don't forget everything else:
    Motor skills - running, jumping climbing... buttoning, pulling pants up and down, zipping
    Science - what happens when you pour water into a full cup? Where do rolly pollies live? Why do tall block towers always fall over?
    Language - label everything. If he points to a tree and says "ee", say "Yes, that's a very big tree. Look at the bare branches. Do you want to feel it's rough bark?" Tell him what you are doing... "Mommy is opening the cupboard to get a glass. I'm filling the glass with water. I drank all of the cold water."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008