How can you cut your food bill down and still eat healthy.?

ArleneE

Asked by ArleneE at 1:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Grow your own food. It's SO cheap to buy the seeds!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Shop anywhere you can buy in bulk. Set a budget for yourself. There are 5 people total in my house and we eat on less than $100 a week and it's all because we make everything home made.
    QueenWeibchen

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I did a couple of things that might sound crazy but they keep me from going to the grocery store as often and because of that have really helped! First I joined my local organic farm and take delivery of a veg/fruit box weekly at their pickup site. I go to "dream dinners" once a month and have meals ready in my freezer. I have become a member of Melaleuca so I shop online for my household products, toiletries etc. and they are safer, more cost effective and a tax write off because I tell other people and make money doing it! All of these things keep me out of the retail stores, I don't spend unplanned money and I stick to my budget, and make money from home! If you're interested in my stay at home work my website is GreenAtHome.info or you can email me at GreenAtHome@mac.com
    Dani726

Answer by Dani726 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Oh the fresh stands are where I save TONS of money!!! I get all fruits and veggies there- and they are SOOO much cheaper!!! That way I hit the grocery store for ONLY meat, flour, ect....I will also hit up discount stores for some boxed items....
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 2:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have a store here that does double coupons. Basically if you have a coupon for $1 off, they'll take $2 off instead. So I collect a lot of coupons and shop there. It really does help. Also buying somethings in bulk will help as well at stores like Costco or Sams or Smart & Final.

decemberm00n

Answer by decemberm00n at 2:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Try Angel Food.  www.angelfoodministies.com   NO QUALIFYING - ANYONE CAN BUY IT.

$30 for a box of food that will feed a family of 4 for 1 week.  You can buy as many boxes as you want.  Extra meat packages for $20.  Really good deal.

I was looking this morning to find a group I had seen earlier for a friend of mine.  The owner of this group really puts a lot into the menus (complete with recipes) for each month's box of food.  I FINALLY found it. 
    That site, if you are interested is:  http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/angelfood/

PrairieGirl3576

Answer by PrairieGirl3576 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Grow your own if you have the land. Another idea that doesn't appeal to many but is how I've cut my grocery budget to less than $400 a month to feed 3 kids, myself, my husband and my mother who lives with us, is don't use the meat whole. If you get chicken breasts, chop them up into 1/2 inch pieces and only use about 2 chicken breasts worth for a meal instead of putting a whole chicken breast on each plate. Cut the ground beef with seasoned breadcrumbs for meatloaf of salisbury steaks and such. (Continued in next post)
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• (continued from previous post) Buy in bulk when something is on sale (for us $1.68 a pound is a bargain on ground beef so I'll go and buy about 10-12 pounds and then divide it up into 1/2 pound batches, put in zipper freezer bags, and freeze... I do the same with chicken too). I've never found coupons doing much good. You're better off getting the store brand rather than the name brand, it's all made by the name brand companies anyway. Go to www.angelfoodministries.com (as a previous poster said). I also cook all my own food from scratch, there are no pre-prepared meals in our house. We are saving a fortune with me cooking from scratch.
    momof3inTN