Potty Treats...how do they work?

My three year old has a potty, and sits on it regularly, but has yet to make a "deposit". I'm thinking about implementing potty treats- a Starburst candy for every "deposit" she makes. Not just sitting on the potty, but actually pooping or peeing in it. Do you think the potty treats will encourage her in her potty training?

Thank you for your input. Please be nice-I'm new to all of this potty training stuff!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest son took FOREVER to fully potty train. I used m&ms...but it didnt really help. What finally worked for me was I bought a present for him and wrapped it up and placed it by the potty. Then I made a chart. After he'd pee, he'd get a sticker to put in the pee line. Poop, same thing. Once he'd gotten 20 pee stars, and 10 poop ones, he got his present. And, by that point, he was trained! Good luck!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It worked for my daughter, and when she was completely diaper free we let her go to Toys R Us and pick out a toy!!! It took forever for her to be potty-trained, don't give up!!! It can be stressful at times.
    supermama86

Answer by supermama86 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• We have an almost 3 year old (she is 34 months) and what has worked the best for us is to give her a small piece of candy after she goes potty (like, one starburst) and two pieces if she goes poopy. However, we have a lot of trouble with poopy still. She will go in her undies all the time because she for some reason, hates going on the toilet for that. She's very good about potty. She wants to use the "big toilet" and she has her own step-stool to get up to the potty and will sometimes even be pro-active and go do it without even telling us beforehand (asking for help).
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My kids have all trained easily so far and I never used treats. You have to do what works for you, though. Give it a shot.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2011