Do you find that the bedtime routine takes long?

We have this whole bedtime routine going on...bath, teeth, stories, songs and cuddling but it takes over 1hour and sometimes even a little more. My son is 2 1/2 and sometimes he tries to manipulate us into losing time which we are working on and doing our very best to be very consistent and keep the exact same routine, but it still seems long to me. The routine starts around 7:30 and ends around 8:30 sometimes later...What is your experience? Does this seem normal?

bianca2422

Asked by bianca2422 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is normal for parents that set aside a special routine. We kept it very short. Brush teeth and get to bed. My sister did the one you guys do and she also learned it was too long and also difficult to break. Maybe you can slowly cut one thing out of the routine and over time knock time off each ritual? Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• yes, since you're counting getting a bath as part of the bedtime routine. mine also takes about a hour if i count bathtime.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i think its way too long but i use to have a routine but most of time its just so unpredictable in the summer the bath is not even part of the routine. mostly just reading and cuddling. i make it short and sweet. every child is different. whatever works for you.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• sounds nomal and is very good to have them have routiens expessially from a young age.. yer just keep it simple thats the best to go about i.. ours is not much bath in morning cause its winter hear were i am tv cuddles play and bed and have some boobie she loves boobie lol and yer cant just take it off her like that so yer if i were you cut out some of the things and wont seem as long and would be better for you both
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I always say I have 50 billion things to do before I can finally go to bed. Clean up, which takes forever, get my son in there to brush teeth, wash hands and face, get into jammies, clean diaper, take the dog out, get a sippy of water, put the grounds and water into my hubby's coffee maker for the morning, finally get my son into bed and read stories, and then finally say goodnight and go out, and then start my own bedtime routine of brushing my hair and teeth, flossing and flouride rinsing lol. I do the whole routine every night and start and stop and sit and rest and do things out of order but it can take like 3 hours or more to finally get myself into bed. My son doesn't stall on purpose, but if I ask him if he's ready for bed he'll say no. But he's always excited to get to the stories. If you're feeling like your routine is too long you could do it on and off and sit and relax in between. I don't think a 2 year old really.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• con'td... needs a strict routine anymore because they know that bedtime is coming even if they're resistant. If you can change it up or cut some stuff out, like give baths in the morning, or cuddle while reading stories instead of separately, that will help. Just move fast and be firm that bedtime is coming no matter what they try to do to stall
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011