2 month old breast fed baby??

So everyone probably saw my question last night about weaning. Thanks for the bashing I loved it all. =) So I was very stressed he was rejecting me and he was stressed because I was. I odn't WANT to quit nursing, I was just looking for a little guidance on that path if I chose to go that way.

I'm curious, I know all babies are different....but how many times a day does/did you 2 month old baby nurse???

I'm thinking maybe I am trying to often, he's always eaten everytime before but maybe he's not needing it as often as before? Any thoughts?

Please no bashing, just answer the question, give a suggestion and move on. Thanks.

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 9:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't see the other question or the bashing (sorry for that, though)... but i can tell you all 3 of my sons lost interest in nursing early on & we had to switch over to formula.

It happens. I don't care what anyone says --- it DOES happen sometimes.

Has he been getting any bottle feedings? If so... that might be part of it. Sucking on a bottle takes a lot less effort on baby's part than nursing. Typical man... dontcha know lol ---- wants the easy way out. :-) So, if that might be the case, you can try to switch over to pumping & bottle-feeding.

If that's not the case.... I just have a lot of sympathy & not a lot of advice for you. Just keep trying is about all I can say. If it works out... great. If it doesn't, just do what you need to do for your child --- and if that means switching to formula, so be it.

I'm pretty sure that's NOT a sign of the apolcolypse.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Honestly I can't remember, maybe every two to three hours. Have you tried to contact a lactation specialist? I'm sorry I didn't see your other question and sorry for any bashing you have gotten. I don't understand that when we are just looking for help. Take care.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Your baby will let you know when he wants feeding. If he isnt eating when you offer he probably doesnt need it. I know it can take a while to get used to what cry is for what need but it gets easier. I offered the boob many times and got it wrong...but you become better at knowing.

As they feed more and more they get more efficient at it..whereas in the beginning it may have taken my son half an hour or so to feed, now at one it takes him all by two minutes to get a large feed.

I cant remember how often he was feeding at 2 months but I think that it was every two hours..sometimes during the day it would be maybe even a little less...and then hed literally be on my boob all evening! I wouldnt worry too much if he IS feeding.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Thanks, Normally when he wakes up and when he is crying the boob is all he wants. Now it seems like when he is crying we try the boob and that just pisses him off more. So maybe he just wants something else when he's crying....hmmm, if only he would just tell me. ;-)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I nursed on demand. You can tell if a baby wants to nurse by stroking there cheek right beside the mouth. If they root, they're ready to eat. That was my experience anyway. Some days DD would nurse every couple of hours, some days it'd be less.
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• every 1.5 to 2 hours. He ate ALL the time.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• For my girls every fifteen minutes for 30 seconds. For my boys-- they spent almost a month in the NICU every 3 hours
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My almost 3 month old eats every 2-3 hours earlier on in the day and then switches to 3-4 hours later on in the day. I feed on a combo of schedule feeding and demand. It's called PDF feeding and it has always worked for us. If you do wean, don't feel bad. Many babies are fed with formula and are just fine. Formula has come a long way and is very healthy for babies and gives them the nutrients they need (sometimes even more than breast milk depending on the mom's diet). Good luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Go to www.lalecheleague.com.....great support for nursing
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Both of my kids changed it up depending on their moods. Most days it was 2 to 3 hours between feedings. Try doing everything but offer the boob next time he wakes up crying. Maybe he needs to calm down a little before eating.

If you do end up weaning, please know that you are a success at breastfeeding. Any amount of breast milk is a wonderful gift to your child. Also formulas have come a long way from what they were.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 10:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2008