Would you be insulted? What would you do?

I live in a small commuity where everybody knows everybody so at times it's hard and where i live there are more churchs than gas stations.My mil made me mad we used to go to the same spirtfilled church so dancing i thought was exceptable . My kids started to dance and my mil came down out of the choir and jerked my kids and put them on the back row and said to me my grandchildren will not be the laughing stock of the church,so thats why i don't go there any more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• What a whack job. Sorry. Does she have a problem with boundaries? You are their mother & you were present. Obviously she has a problem knowing her place. She don't own that church & it isn't her right or choice to discipline YOUR kids in YOUR presence if YOU don't think they are misbehaving. Inform her of her place & remind her that YOU are their mother. I'd be more than pissed & if she thought dancing kids in her church was an embarrassment. She'd know the true definition of the word had she pulled that whack-o crap on mine in public at church. THEY are just kids. How does she not know if the Holy Spirit was coming down through them? They don't need to be around her alone anyway it sounds like to me.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 7:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Sounds like a backwoods southern baptist church. I wouldn't go anymore either. I'd probably move altogether. Seriously. I could never attend a church that doesn't even allow children to dance or girls to wear pants. F-that!!!
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• well that is a shame that her granchildren embarrassed her by having a little fun. its not like they were running around yelling and screaming and knocking people over. and i would have been more embarrassed by her coming down out of the choir i bet that made a good impression who do you think the people were talking about more her or your kids. my bet is on her. i wouldn't go back and i don't think she would be seeing her grandchildren for awhile since they embarrass her so much and all
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Well first thing I would have done, after she made a seen, would have been to walk out of the church with my kids. I never would go back to that church again. Then when she called me or tried to come over. I would have told her your not welcome at my house any more. I probably would have told her she will have limited visitation with the kids too.

I would have talked this over with my DH to. Sense it is his MOM.

Answer by louise2 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Some churches don't want children dancing around and distracting other members of the congregation. They feel that it takes away from the dignity of the service. However, what your MIL did was out of line, in my opinion. She should not have embarrassed you and your children in such a way, she should have left the children alone. She should have explained church custom to you after the service. If you wished to, then you could discuss it with the minister.

Answer by Bmat at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree with Bmat, it is fair enough if that is not the customs of the church but IMO she herself made more of a scene by coming out of the choir and dragging your children away, it makes no sense, if she doesn't want them embarassing her, then why is she embarassing herself?
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008