Constipated 8 y/o

Any ideas? We ended up in the ER yesterday because her stomach hurt so bad. We have tried lots of fruit and veggies. The ER doc suggested Miralax which we tried. We have tried juices and other things. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am really trying to avoid suppositories if I can help it at all.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we are using a prescription natural laxative...you need to empty him out first usuallywith an enema but talk to your doctor...if they get too constipated they can get sick.my 7 yr old gets constipated and so far its better.
    serenityspeaks

Answer by serenityspeaks at 10:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• the miralax didn't help? have you been giving it in the dose prescribed however many times a day? it really works.... it may take 2 days though. warm prune juice works well, but ugh the taste!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• you could also do a milk of magnesia and I am pretty sure they have it for kids but juice is not always the way to go the best thing is water. you can also do things high in fiber such as beans and grains
    THAT_GURL

Answer by THAT_GURL at 11:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Fletchers laxative, my dd once had a blockage in her colin. She was given miralax and was to use it everyday. Miralax does take a few days. Very little magnieumsm citrate.
    Go to a local pharmacy, the pharmacist is there to help & should have a suggestion.
    If you give him a laxative or magniesum make sure you give him fluids.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I had to use Mira ax for more than a year with my daughter. I was told it became behavioral. Once I gave the Mira ax daily things improved. The key is not stopping it for a few months. They need to learn that it doesn't hurt to go to the bathroom. Also their poop muscle needs to go back to a normal size.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Does this happen often or just maybe once or twice a month? I ask because when this was happening with my then 6 yr old it turned out that constipation wasn't the problem and his kidney was. He complained of stomach pains out of the blue one day and nothing fixed it so we took him to the ER. They took an xray and said it was constipation. They gave him an enema and he was fine. Then about 3 weeks later it happened again same thing we took him to the ER xray and enema fine. Then about a month later he woke up and said it hurt to move - he bent over to tie his shoe for school and started crying. I took him to the ER expecting appendicitis and it turned out his right kidney was enlarged. He had a narrow ureter with a blockage at the base of it. If it continues and the Miralax doesn't work I would get a ct scan I think it is to check and make sure everything else is ok.
    sprout18

Answer by sprout18 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2011