For mothers with tattoos....

how did you decide who you wanted to do your tattoo? did you travel far or try to find someone local? look at trade magazines or saw their work in real life and got interested?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Lol I actually just looked online. Most artists ave websites so you can shop around. Just google shops in your area.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I got my first tattoo when I was 20. I knew I wanted "carpe diem" because it's a saying I firmly believe in, because my whole adult life I've wanted to live everyday to the fullest. While looking at different fonts I saw an ambigram of the saying and decided that's what I wanted. It being my first tattoo I got the tattoo quoted at several different parlors and ended up going with a place that had a lot of good feedback from friends. I've got 3 tattoos total.... 2 on my ribs and one on my foot (I do not recommend getting something on your ribs unless you're ready to deal with serious pain, it was like my ribcage was shaking the whole 3 hours I was getting the tattoo!) Hope that helps, and just so you know, they're very addicting...
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Talk to your friends who have tattoo's find out were they have had there work done I had alot of mine done at the one place I spoke to people around me & then i went into the shop and looked at there work for my self...but yeah online they have albums and what not you can view... good luck witht he hunt...ad i hope you get an amazing tattoo
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 10:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I didn't have to look for mine, I have artists in the family. When I turned 16 and my parents paid for me to get my first one I went to a guy who grew up with my uncles, since at the time neither of my uncles had done any tattoos in awhile, and he wasn't just a friend of the family - he had plenty of awards and plaques, and even asking around with other people who have tattoos they all said he was one of the best. Now when I want a tattoo I have a BIL and two brothers who work in shops and since I've seen their work I trust them not to mess up.

You should try looking online for reviews as well, visit some shops and check them out, look at the artist's portfolio, etc.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i went to three different shops for my three different tatoos. the first one was really famous so i knew they were good and it was around the block from where i lived. the second one i randomly stopped and i was so glad i did. was my favorite place. the 3rd hurt so much and it was ok but i would of waited to go back to the 2nd or 3rd place...but it was so random that 3rd one but i know now i wont be getting any more. as much as first two hurt that last one was a bitch.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• As far as the tattoo parlor I went to a friend of the family. Both of my tattoos I designed myself looking for pictures online and combining the images I liked for the effects I wanted.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• lol 1st time mom.....i know they're addicting!!! that's why i'm putting so much thought into it........want them to be amazing.
    nicole anne...the only person i know with any tattoos is my step sister and she goes to this guy in nj. his style is not my cup of tea...not what i'm looking for. but i am going to shops, etc. it's just hard if there is not anyone you know who has been there before. it's permanent after all....
    this is so hard lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• o gee i wish i was lucky enough to have a family member in the business!!
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I went to a tattoo parlor across the street from my college with a friend. I just walked in to ask a question about the prices and I ended up getting a tattoo.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My first tat was done by an artist that did my parents tats for years. After that, I just went to some shops and looked at their portfolios. I found someone that did awesome black and white work and went for it. I love it! The other one was the same thing.

loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2011