Separation Anxiety?

My son is 3.5 and has lived with his father since the finalization of our divorce 1.5 years ago. I see him regularly and as often as allowed. When he is with me, I cannot leave the room without him throwing a fit. Where he once went to bed easily, he will not without me in the room. However, when I return him to his dad at the end of our 4-day weekends, he wants nothing to do with me.

Is this separation anxiety? Are there any other divorced parents out there experiencing this? Even from the other end?

We talk on the phone at least every other day, have good times when together, I still follow through with standard time outs and discipline as needed, but I don't dare go to the laundry room or outside unless he comes with me.

My ex-husband says this isn't an issue when I asked to talk to our pediatrician.

Advise please????!!!!
-Mellie

Mellie-n-LilMan

Asked by Mellie-n-LilMan at 10:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will pass. It is probably because of the divorce. He wants to be sure you aren't leaving him. When you drop him off and he wants nothing to do with you that is also normal. My nephews did that when their mom would pick them up from my house. It will pass. It has nothing to do with you, you aren't doing a bad job as a parent.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2008