machine or hand wash baby clothes?

I've read that its better to wash brand new baby clothes before use, so i got that speacial detergent for babies and now i'm thinking is it ok to wash it at the laundromat. there's probably still some bleach and detergent left in the machine from previous people using it, or should i just handwash it?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think machine wash is OK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think machine wash with second rinse is ok
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• as long as you have that special detergent, i do not see a problem with machine washing them.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I've always machined washed. We use one bottle of the baby detergent and then switch to whatever the rest of us are using. I've always had a machine at home though so I'm not sure about the laundromat. i would wipe it out with wet paper towel if you are really worried. Maybe that would ease your mind a little.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• ya thats fine ive never heard of ppl hand washing their clothes. i use a public laundry mat and we've all been just fine...also i use all free and clear and everyone is just fine using that...just fyi if that baby soap gets to be to much of a pain....that way everyone is using the same stuff
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• They actually say all the baby stuff is, is All free and clear, or detergents like that. So anything that says free and clear or whatever for that brand, is basically the baby detergent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• By the time the laundromat machine runs the wash and then all of the available rinse cycles, any detergent or bleach that might have been left in the machine from the previous wash should be long gone. I don't think that you need to worry. I've never heard of people who use laundromats doing baby items by hand, and you'd think if it were commonly done that it would have been mentioned. However, if you are in the least concerned, do them by hand, just for your peace of mind.

Answer by Bmat at 10:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think machine wash is just fine, just bring your detergent with you and don't use softener. Anything left over in the machine will just rinse out anyways. As long as the majority is your baby detergent it should be fine.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You don't even have to use the special detergent, I never did. I washed my DD's clothes right along with mine and my DH's clothes. I did wash them seperate from the othe kids' clothes though.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i dont use a special laundry detergent for Coles clothes. Unless they show a rash or a reason to use something else, I wouldn't waste the money. I wash them in what ever detergent is on sale that time, and in cold water, in my machine. I dont use laundry softner, other than the dryer sheets on his clothes tho. Also, spar a stain remover on the clothes as soon as they get something on them, then you wont have to battle the stains. I keep a spary bottle in his room and in the laundry room.
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008