Can you get your 6month old to many gifts for Christmas?

My mom was over the other day and I showed her what we got our daughter for Christmas so she didn't get what we already got and she got mad and said we got her to many toys!?!? We got her about 10?

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 10:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's not like it's even possible to spoil them with gifts at that age! I wouldn't listen to her if I were you, just give her what you want to give her and what makes you happy.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• theres not enough toys in the world for me to give my daughter. this is my last one and she is going to be spoiled she turned a year old last month and you would have thought her bday was christmas so i can't wait til christmas
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes.. It will be an overwhelming day. It is more important to focus on tradition and family and not so much on what we can get.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No, if i could afforfd to get my daughter that many i would and even more if i saw some. So far i have gor ther a exersaucer, and three other toys that make noise and are for teaching. Ager months+. I can't wait to see her face. Even though she is only 5months right now. She know what is going on.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 10:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I got my DD lots of stuff too and she is 7 mnths. I know she doesn't understand but this is the first Crhistmas for her and I want it to be special. Of course we have the family thing, but I went wayyyy overboard.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 10:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's a personal choice. Honestly, a 6 month old is unlikely to spend much time with too many toys - even as they grow, children are easily overwhelmed with too many options and will tend to ignore all but a few favorites. For some, that's a waste of money. For others it makes it possible to cycle toys in and out of circulation to keep kids interested. It's *your* call. If you can afford those 10 toys, then no, it's not too much. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Due to our non-nuclear family, DS & DD will have no less than four Christmas celebrations. Ours is pretty low key at home - some treasured things under the tree from Santa and that's it. Grandparents (three sets) usually take care of the largesse.

My husband and I buy presents for the babies whenever we want - we don't "pile them up" for Christmas. What usually ends up is that we edit what the grandparents have given them and then they get a few at a time. When we bring out the new ones (in March or so), it is a surprise all over again.

And honestly? At 6 months? Honey - those presents are for you and no-one else. Your baby just wants to play with the box and be with her parents.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• yes and no...did you get things for a 6-9m old o did you get things he/she can grow into as well...if they are just her age toys then i would say that was alot, if you got things she cant use right away but will grow into i would say that you got a good amount
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I didn't get my DD anything her first Christmas, she was 1 month old. This year she is getting a doll and some blocks. You can't spoil a six month old but I just didn't see the point in buying a bunch of stuff for my DD. She doesn't even know what christmas is. I spent all the money on my nephews(I'm their guardian), they know, they will remember.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We got my 10 mo old son like 3 toys from Big lots, and not big ones mind you. Like a small firetruck that makes noises, a set of blocks, and something else, i cant remember now. Anyway, he is 10 months old, and will not remember any of it anyhow! I plan on letting my family buy him crap he wont play with instead of me. Not to mention, i have NO room in the house for more Crap! So after xmas, when i see what everyone else has gotten him, I'll weed thru some of the junk! AFTER xmas i will go get him some clothes when they are on major sale. But until then, we are not giving him much. He is going to have like 4 xmas'es anyhow, I think that is a little much!! His birthday is around the corner too, so if on xmas eve when we have to do papaws, if he gets a load, I'll put some up for his birthday. Everything I bought for him is for 18mos plus anyhow.
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 12:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008