"I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'" (Yes, P&CE, not R&B)

There's an awareness campaign today organized by an atheist group. Their goal isn't to convert anyone. As usual, it's merely to promote awareness and let atheists who live in more strictly religious regions of the country know that they aren't alone. I'm not asking this about religion, though. I'm asking about the quote from this article (the same one in the question line).

It's Independence Day 2011, the 235th one we've had.  Is it right that in 2011, in a country whose first amendment guarantees freedom of religion and expression, people still fear for their lives in expressing "non-mainstream" membership to a group, religious or specifically not religious?  Isn't that what all the soldiers who've died in the past 235 years supposedly gave their lives for?  What is it about this country that keeps so many people hiding behind closed doors, even as we crow about how "free" we are?

~~~~~This is an Anthony free safe zone~~~~~

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't think anyone felt threatened. But then again I don't hear anyone announcing they are athiests. In fact I don't know any athiests.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• In fact I don't know any athiests.

That's statistically improbable. More likely you don't know any atheists who feel safe enough to discuss it publicly without facing retribution in their personal or professional life.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I was atheist before i found Buddhism. I still feel very wary about discussing my faith, to the point where i will leave a conversation
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I am Catholic. I have gotten a TON of crap for being Catholic. From being told by fellow Christians that we dont "do it right" because we baptize at birth, to atheists to compare my beliefs to fair tales, to other religions who act likes Catholics are the only group of people who have evil deeds in their past. I feel no sympathy for atheists....difficulties. Everyone has them. The only time I have a problem with atheists when they feel the need to use THEIR beliefs to demean MINE (as in billboards that mock my religion and signs in capital buildings!)! I dont do it, so I only ask for the same courtesy :) I dont know any intelligent people who arent "aware" of atheists....as for stupid people well....you cant fix stupid. As for not knowing any because they dont proclaim themselves..... Well, I dont usually begin sentences with "I am Catholic" either LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We live in a very secular world music, movies and popular culture are not religious at all. I think Atheists are not slapped in the face with religion as much as they say. I personally don't see much of my faith outside my home or church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Religion is really contentious if you pay attention. My two baby brothers are both Atheist. One is loud and in your face and his campaign against all things God related involves some pretty offensive (but really gorgeously done) tattoos, and the other one (who tends to have better sense in most things) is very quiet about it. Not bringing it up makes his life easier, it's not a big part of who he is, he's made his decision and that's that. Plus, people have a tendency to try and convert you if you mention it, from what I understand.

I can totally see not wanting to fly that. People are kind of intense about this anymore.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Personally, I don't see why everyone can't just mind their own business and be whatever religion they want to be (or not be)
    That includes christian.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Sounds like some athiests like drama
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It doesn't matter what you believe or don't believe. Someone is not going to agree with you and there are always extremists who take their faith to a violet level. Many people don't see this if they don't live in a very religious area. However if you do and your not part of that dominating religious group in your area, you probably see the difference. I love living in small towns, i love a lot about the town I live in. However its mostly LDS. IF your not LDS, you are treated VERY different. Your children are treated different at school, if you work for the local job market you don't get as many perks if your not a member of the church. I've seen bulling at schools because of it, I've even seen where they have tried to have the bishop of the church handle issues at school, where the school should have handled it instead. I don't get to bad end of stuff, but my sister in law is Pagen, and she gets the harder end of it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• *violent level", not violet, there is nothing threatening about the color purple.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011