This question is for motherd who breast feed toddlers/preschoolers.

When i was breastfeeding my 1st child who is now almost 3 my milk dried up when she was only 6 month.I was so devastated bc i wanted to breastbeed her for at least 3 years! anyways I have a new baby so i am of course breastfeeding but i wish there was some way i could get my 2 1/2 year old to drink from me ut too. I dont know if that would be weird or wrong to do or even if it is possible to do. I havnt tried but i have a feeling she wont have it anyways. I would love all of your thoughts, opinions and similar experiences, especially seeing how a lot of ppl i know think i should stop breastfeeding my 2nd baby soon since he is almost 1! Thank you ladies, I cant wait to hear from you!

JanetElizabeth

Asked by JanetElizabeth at 11:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• i suppose you could give her expressed or pumped milk in her cup if you really think it's that important.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• i think it would be a little weird to nurse her at that age (since she had already stopped). but if you want her to have the breastmilk, just pump and put it in her sippy/bottle
    ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• You know how they say that your milk is the only thing your child needs for the first year and that your milk content and supply changes to suit your growing baby? I've wondered with situations like this or situations where children are close together and mom still breastfeeds both if the nutritional value is the best for the older child or for the younger child. Ykwim? I'm with princessbeth, I guess you could always express it. :) Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• According to the time period you are describing, I would say that your DD might not be able to latch on. When the baby is breastfeeding the baby is using different muscle movements as when the baby is bottle feeding. She may not know what to do. As pp said you can always pump and give the bottle to you DD.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I have a 2.5 yr old dd1 and i tried it too :P lol. and she did NOT want to booby feed i ffed her and bfed her for 3 mos and then switched to ff. BUT she loooooved it in a sippy cup with 1/2 reg milk n 1/2 bm :P
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 11:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I did it OVERTIME when she was sick and during the flu season and she only got sick twice n it wasnt for very long (like, 1-2 days vs the normal 5)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 11:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I agree with the other girls. Keep nursing your little one! I nursed my first nearly a year, and my second child for three years. Each of my two boys have only had antibiotics once, as they are so healthy and I am sure it is from the milk:).
    amanasede

Answer by amanasede at 11:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• It is fine to do what works for you and your toddler. She is only two, still very young! In fact, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years.... so it is not to late and she is not too old (despite what others in this section might tell you!) *wink* We would love for you to join us in Breastfeeding Moms group here on CafeMom, if you are not a member already!

catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• just pump and give it to her.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• good job on breast feeding as long as you did!
    Anonymous