Could a person have been abused sexually as a child and not have any recollection of the actual events?

A close friend of mine confided in me that she has some concerns about things that happened in her childhood and wonders about them.

She had an alcoholic father that would take her to strangers houses and pass out or leave her there alone. She says she doesn't remember ever being abused but that she was always interested in sexual things even as young as 4, she remembers telling her mom that her vagina hurt and that she could not stand up and being in so much pain but not knowing why and telling her mom a stick had been shoved up there with no real memory of anything happening though and and at 7 years old she'd been pulled aside by a concerned famiyl friend who saw some brown on her shorts and never figured out what the brown discharge was from. She suffers from some pretty bad anger and anxiety issues as well and wonders why that is with no real history of those problems in her family.

Is it possible that she blocked a traumatic event out of her mind and that she could have been or is that something that cannot happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• that would not be uncommon.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes, its totally possible because that happened to me. 12 years of therapy.....
    Anonymous

• Recalling vaginal pain is a pretty good indication of sexual abuse. Little girls do not have pain in their vaginal areas for no reason. She needs to see a really good therapist who can support her in working through these issues.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 11:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• I mean no disrespect Anonymous, I want to say that before I make this comment so it is not taken the wrong way and out of context since you cannot hear my tone...

How do you know for sure that you were abused sexually if you have no recollection? Were you able to talk through it and recall the event or is it just assumed that based on the things you've experienced that it's what happened?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• yes kids sometimes block out things that they cant handle or arent able to process. the memories can come back later in life.
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• Yes very common.
    Anonymous

• i was molested by my grandfather when i was young . I can remember certain things. To be specific I remember being in a room with him and he was sitting on the couch, then he took it out and told me to touch it. I dont remeber if I touch it or not. I also remember sitting in his lap all the time. I dont ever remember him putting his private inside me..but I was molested by him many times..
    Anonymous

• Well, I have had what I thought were dreams of my dad cuffing me to the bed and molesting me. Come to find out, my sisters have the exact same "dream". My Aunt came out later and publicly accused him of doing the same to her when he was in college (she's much younger). Then later a memory surfaced.
    Anonymous

• :(
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• yes the youngest sexually abused reported case was 4hours old. i read that some place. probably in a psychology book way back when. i would see if she can go into counseling. there are types of hypnosis that can help her through the memories. it is possible to block our traumatic events in a young childs life. its a defense mechanism.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2011