Identifying that which exists.

This was said in another thread..

"You do realize the scientific method is a man-made invention? And that while a good way to get to truth it's certainly not flawless and certainly not the only valid one"?

I am aware that honest science is an unbiased process of searching for answers in objective reality. I am aware that conclusions about objective reality can change, given new information surfacing. 

What I would like to hear about is other "valid" ways to determine the existance of a god, and why you consider them valid.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• As has already been pointed out, science is something measurable with testable and predictable results. There are no methods to test the validity or the veracity of the Bible.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It is called Experience. God is an experiential God.
    When you truly experience Him ... that is your proof.. but I did not NEED that to prove He is real to me. I chose to believe!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• ... the existence of God. One can either affirm it or deny it. My PROOF rests in my faith. My faith being a gift from the Holy Spirit, convicting and changing my heart, turning me towards God, and the experiential revelation of His existence in my life and His desire to have a relationship with me.

OP. The evidence for God is out there .... the PROOF that you are looking for is withheld, because God is a personal God, and reveals Himself to individuals. So my experience, while measurable in my spirit to me (and only me), is not measurable to you or anyone else (or to the Scientific Method with is not a full proof measuring rod). And I would suggest that you won't find PROOF so long as you are testing God.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Atheists fundamentally believe with all their being that God does not exist; they have faith in that belief being true and valid. They cannot prove that belief in any definitive way--yet they still believe it. Yet when people believe in God with all their being and have faith that their belief is true and valid, they are asked to provide "evidence" to support their faith/belief. Sorry, but that doesn't compute in my book. I know this has been quoted numerable times before, but during this type of debate, it seems to be the best answer--if not the only answer.

To one who has faith, no explanation is needed. To one without faith, none is possible.--St. Thomas Aquinas
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• "all are valid and accepted in academia and most could apply to God- but none will satisfy a narrow mind-"

Very well said!
    Do you know what happens when anything less than incotrovertible, unquestionable proof is the only consideration to accept truth? Well, we saw it just today- people get away with murder...

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• There is no metaphysical proof. There is no mathematical proof.
    It's what God does in your life that proves His existence.
    Denying his existence means is difficult when looking at the natural law of the universe. There is order, not chaos. God explains the patterns, for me at least. Dawkins puts forth the idea that all this formed from Chaos. How can we be assured that that chaos was naturally contained? There is no way to prove that. Cause must be greater than the effect is a basic natural law. Chaos naturally evolving into an ordered and lawful existence is difficult to convince me of.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:02 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Now, on to my personal knowing of God's existence Well, that's kind of private and dear to me. But I know. You know, that gut feeling. I have had far too many connections with The Divine to call them coincidence. I don't need scientific proof of a Divine. The Divine transcends all that
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Well- as far as proving something there is:

beyond a reasonable doubt
    preponderance of evidence
    logical conclusion
    natural deduction
    body of evidence
    threshold

all are valid and accepted in academia and most could apply to God- but none will satisfy a narrow mind-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Oh BTW- I am not saying that those that do not believe in any God or Gods are narrow minded- there are plenty of Atheists on here that fully understand how others believe even if they do not believe themselves- there are many that accept that ones proof or methods of proof are valid but still do not believe themselves and thats fine- I understand how others believe and have faith in a God (Gods or Goddesses) that I do not and I understand that it is a valid belief even if it is not my own-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• -Eilish... there is NO evidence for Jesus NONE except for hear-say. Also, EVERY mythology contains historical and archeological facts, so what makes the myths in the bible real while the others are not?

God is real to you because you need him to be but that doesn't make it reality.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011