How can I get my 5 1/2 year old to stop sucking her thumb. She only does it when she is tired.

Amr515

Asked by Amr515 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't stress over it, you can't make them stop so just let them stop when they're ready. My daughter is almost 7 and still does it. We tried to get her to stop but it made her do it more cause we stressed her out so now once in awhile we'll just ask her if she's ready to stop yet and she tells us soon....We don't want to make her feel bad for doing it. It's a hard habit to break.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Good luck with that. My younger twin sisters did it and my parent's tried everything! ....One of them still does it when she is really stressed and tired. She is 20 years old now.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• My son is 3 and he sucks his thumb when he is tired as well. I really hoped he would grow out of it. There are items on the market that you can apply that taste bad. I never wanted to do that but it is an option. Maybe, just like a security blanket she finds comfort. Don't worry so much... Easier said than done, I know :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My cousin still does it and he is 21.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• stick her thumb in a bowl of vinegar!?
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2011