Anyone move long distance with cats???

We moving in a few weeks and the drive is over 5 hours long. Any tips or tricks to move cats comfortably? I have never had to have them in the car more than 20 minutes...so I have no idea what to do about the litter issue or their comfort!

Thanks in advance!

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 12:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Travel

• I moved my 2 cats about 6 hours with no problems. Cats can go quite a while without needing a litter box unless they are old or sick; I don't know how many times I have accidentally shut one of my cats in the closet for 9 hours or so while I'm at work and they were fine. When we moved, I put each cat in his own carrier. I think I may have offered them a little water during the trip, but no food. I think I took their food away the night before the move, too, to cut down on the chance of one of them getting car sick.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would ask the vet about maybe giving them something to keep then calm.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I got my black cat from my brother, and he lives 6 hours away. my mom went and got him for me. she put him in a cat carrier then buckled the carrier in with the seat belt. he did however get car sick. I would advise talking to you vet to maybe get them something to help nerves, during and after the move. when we moved from a town 30 miles away my other cat became skittish the first few days after the move. we are about to move across town in a few weeks so I will be gettin something for my one cat to help her with the new place.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• also should add that my mom had one of those disposable litter boxes and she stopped half way to allow the cat to go potty and drink.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We drove from Colorado to GA in 3 days. The vet give us some meds to help relax them. They didn't sleep much, tho. We set up a litter box in the back of the SUV and lots of blankets. The first few hours of the trip were the hardest on them, but eventually they settled down.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I moved a 14 year old cranky kitty... 12 hours! We let him free in the front of the truck (had to, he was going to hurt himself in the carrier). He did GREAT!! Hid under the seat and slept almost the entire trip!
    AudraMorgan

Answer by AudraMorgan at 12:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would talk to my vet about tranquilisers.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We've taken cats on 2.5 hour car rides with mixed results. We had one that got carsick, so we planned to stop and clean up when that happened. I really think it depends on the cat's personality on how they'll do. I would plan at least one liter stop and we always kept them in their carriers.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Cat carrier and be prepared for constant meowing-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Keep it in the carrier cause the minute the door opens the cat will bolt. We lost a cat when I was younger when we moved cross country. My cousins went and found her and ending up keeping her for the rest of her life.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 6:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011