Any natural ways to keep scorpions out of your home? We already spray but it's freaking me out. I don't want to go to sleep at night.

Amr515

Asked by Amr515 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• OMG! I am very happy we do not have scorpions. I would not care about being natural, lol. I would just kill them, they are dangerous.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I've read that chickens eat scorpions, in addition to grasshoppers, spiders, ticks, termites, etc...just about everything that happens to plague me!LOL I am in the process of hiring a few chickens to do my exterminating for me. Can your friend have even a couple of chickens? I bet it would help. I think they kill small snakes, also. Helpful little critters:)

A can of Raid will only make them mad...lol.

This past year we cleared much debris, such as old piles of lumber, and general junk from around the buildings. We also went on a serious spraying program.

This has helped a lot, only two so far this year. The spraying has helped to clear out other insects that might be food, such as crickets and cockroaches.

Clearing debris I think has been the most help, chased them away from the buildings. Removing places for them to hide and nest.

I read they actually can live 12 to 15 years.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• This is not a natural solution but it works and with scorpions that is more important. My husband sprays the perimeter of the house with Demon which is available at Tractor Supply. It works for about a year.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Do you have palm trees around your house? Those are the favorite homes of bark scorpions. In March, my son was stung by one and spent two days in the hospital, so I totally understand how scary it can be knowing they're around. You can get a good blacklight flashlight and completely check through your yard and house to see if there are any. The glow bright green under a blacklight. Also, lots of sprays don't work on scorpions. Cyper is a good one and you can get it on Amazon.com.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• http://animal.discovery.com/tv/infested/

I watched this show called Infested the other night and it aired an episode about scorpions. You should check it out. Just search the video.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 1:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Im not sure but YIKES! I couldnt sleep either!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 2:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Dusting your attic with diatomatious earth helps. Sealing all the cracks in your house, including those around light fixtures, light switches, baseboards, etc. also helps. Pay special attention to recessed lights and ceiling fans. Check under the toe-jams and in the back of the cabinets in your kitchen and bathrooms and fill in any holes. Oh, forgot this... screening air ducts probably will do nothing either. These are closed systems... there is a return air vent in your house but other than that there is no way for a scorpion to get in so as to crawl out your air vents. Sealing around the vents helps, though, since they can crawl out from around them.

etting rid of the insects that they DO eat seems to help, especially crickets. Another thing I'm thinking is that perhaps these natural enemies of scorpions may also help:

1) Arizona Wind Spider
    2) Bats, geese, chickens
    3) Woodpeckers
    4) Roadrunner
    5) Desert Shrew
    6) Elf Owl
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I've found numerous info. using boric acid (found at wal-mart by the peroxide). It is used in everything (not ingested though),wear contacts? It's in the solution. Anyway, it's safe (http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+100-835-3 You'll find numerous ways to use it, sprinkle on base boards, cracks, in a plastic container (will kill roaches)down the drain, sprinkled on carpet (for fleas) ANYWHERE where these alien creatures have been found, SPRINKLE BORIC ACID THERE!! I'm doing it, I've never been so infested, I hate these ugly things! I can deal with the tarantulas, and snakes but, these creap me out!! Most insecticide gets rid of insects but, these never seem to disappear, it's true you get rid of their food supply, you'll get rid of them. But, do you really want them lingering around while your asleep, yuck!! Time to search and destroy!!
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• If none of that helps send me a pm here and I will look up more for you.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• No idea, that is one problem we don't have, thank goodness.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011